1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Computers.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theoipod, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If they started life as 1.1 they'll stay as 1.1 I'm afraid.

2. handsom

handsom Regular member

1.1 mobos will always be 1.1 mobos. It's a sad sad fate, I don't know why 1.1 mobos are still made; but I've still seen them in Best Buy.... Ick.

Sammorris, thank you. I really appreciate that you put a more affordable combo together for me. That is precisely what I was after. Thank you; now I just have to scrape the last few bucks together; and I can get this situation all remedied.

Thank you again!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Assuming you've 1GB RAM or more, that combo can take on any current game, and can take on UT07 as well. It may not run top settings on everything but it will run everything for a good while, including Vista I might add.

4. handsom

handsom Regular member

While using top settings is certainly nice; I can live without it. If the game will run at a good framerate while looking decent; I will be more than happy. I can see spending thousands on a computer that will be standard in one to two years.

As long as it works well enough to run things I'm happy; and it seems that the setup you mentioned will do so, more than well enough.

I'm glad that this can be done with better hardware than I thought, I was expecting to hear worse expenses for this kind of hardware.

Yays!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There is some pretty good value stuff appearing in the mid-high segment now.

6. handsom

handsom Regular member

I went through for a bit of shopping, and came across this, I was wondering if you could tell me A.)Do you think it's a good deal(With and without warranty; it might be a little later before I can get it) and B.) Is it good enough hardware to run current games (Oblivion) and do you think it will be good enough to run UT2k7 well?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2205385&CatId=0

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

7. handsom

handsom Regular member

I went through for a bit of shopping, and came across this, I was wondering if you could tell me A.)Do you think it's a good deal(With and without warranty; it might be a little later before I can get it) and B.) Is it good enough hardware to run current games (Oblivion) and do you think it will be good enough to run UT2k7 well?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2205385&CatId=0

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just the CPU and the Motherboard? Well, that CPU on its own should be fine for UT2007 and Oblivion really, but won't give stellar performance in either. The socket is 754, which is potentially bad. It basically means there's no possibility for upgrade, so you're looking at that CPU all the life of that PC. The motherboard itself is alright, but I'd recommend 939 in stead, or better still, wait until June and get socket AM2.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  9. handsom

handsom Regular member

Do you think that AM2 will be pricey? New technology usually is; and I'm very wary of any kind of 'dumbed down' version of processors, like the celeron or the duron. Been there, done that. Back when they were new, and everyone swore they were just as good.

If you think that it will be just as affordable, I will gladly wait.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah they did swear they were just as good, and they were rubbish!
    Here are a few prices from one of my UK suppliers, make your own mind up.
    Athlon64 3000+ 939: £69, AM2: £77
    Athlon64 3200+ 939: £90, AM2: £99
    Athlon64 3500+ 939: £125, AM2: £133
    X2 3800+ 939: £193, AM2: £209
    X2 4200+ 939: £228, AM2: £256
    X2 4400+ 939: £298, AM2: £354
    X2 4600+ 939: £360, AM2: £385

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

Hmmm, seems like the difference is fairly minimal; I'd rather pay a little extra; and be able to upgrade more in the future. Thanks for the tip!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No prob. Enjoy!

13. bb_gun

bb_gun Member

hey i'm don't know much about hardware.
    and i've got a few questions to the hardware people.
    1)is the Am2 a motherboard and if not what motherboard exists that can support the AM2?.(they mst be releasing a new motherboard to support the am2)
    2)what kind of changes will i need to make so that my computer can take the am2socket and processeur?

14. handsom

handsom Regular member

AM2 compatible mobos are already being sold. They can be found on newegg, tigerdirect, and even ebay; not in mass; but they are out already. Processors will be available shortly from what I'm reading; and the wait is definitely working; when considering the future expandability allowed by these new chip types.

You'll need a new motherboard; probably not much else, from what I'm reading. Although saying that is kind of like saying "In order to use this new coffee mug holder in your car; you'll need to re-position the transmission."

So, take it how you will.

15. bb_gun

bb_gun Member

Although saying that is kind of like saying "In order to use this new coffee mug holder in your car; you'll need to re-position the transmission." LOL.

But i've never seen a motherboard that has am2 socket it'zs allways the 939.
    could you please give me a link to the motherboards that will support all this.

ANd will pc3200 ram work with it?

16. handsom

handsom Regular member

Check the websites I listed above. All you have to do is type in athlon, AM2, or both, and you'll see them. That's why I listed the three sites above.

And yes, your memory will be fine. It won't be the fastest the boards can do; but it will function at it's normal speed. I'm planning to keep my old ram at first, just so I can afford the cpu and mobo, then upgrading the ram a little later. Probably for dual 1gb sticks. There's no way I could dream of affording 2x2GBs, although it would be nice.

Just be careful; some of the boards on those sites are agp, and some are PCI-E. If you've read the past pages, and my problem, you'll have a supreme understanding of why not to get the agp boards; if you didn't already.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The AM2 is a socket design (and therefore a new design platform) for processors to be plugged into. It represents the next generation technology, if you like.

The AM2 processor itself, the AM2 Motherboard and DDR2 RAM. Might want to check you still have a powerful enough PSU to cope if you're slapping a dual core in where there wasn't one before.

handsom: I rarely see coffee mugs that make cars go 5% faster, but who knows, maybe someday you'll invent one and make millions! lol

Not unless its DDR2. DDR1 PC3200 may cause a fair few problems, it'll need to be 240-pin not 184 or 168.

Mmm, it all depends whether you'd rather add a Video card in the upgrade process, depending on what you currently use. If you're already PCI express you're home and dry.

Above all, with AM2

GET DDR2 RAM!

18. handsom

handsom Regular member

Shoot. I hadn't realized the DDR2 issue. That's going to make this a harder upgrade for my wallet to swallow. But the end result still seams worthwhile.

For some reason; I was under the impression that the DDR2 was backwards compatible with older DDR. Thought I read that somewhere, probably just making subconscious assumptions there. Thank you for that update sammorris; I wouldn't have known, and would have been upset looking at a new board and processor.

I'm not sure what good it would do anyone to get a new AM2 supporting mobo, with AGP. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, that's going out and getting a brand new processor slot, with higher capabilities, and future upgradibility; but it feels like shooting yourself in the foot, keeping an agp card. AGP is out. I know that it's still made; but it's to the point where I can get a video card vastly superior to my current one for less than half the price, by switching to PCI-E. Oh; and I've had my video card for just four months now.

And Sammorris; thanks again, I see a lot of posts from you on here, I respect your opinion, and appreciate the assistance.

19. bb_gun

bb_gun Member

please could you give me a link to the mtherboards supporting the am2 cause to change socket means changing motherboard i thought
    doesn't it?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

handsom: I personally would NEVER advise an AM2 build with AGP, for the same reason you stated. You're welcome, and why do people keep flattering me like that? Each day, another post, another set of red cheeks...

bb_gun: Gladly. Depending on what sort of price range, I'll show you a few.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130050
    MSI K9N-Neo F, relatively low budget ($90). Single PCI express
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130048
    MSI K9N-SLi Platinum, high budget ($145), SLi capable
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131011
    Asus M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless, top-end budget ($250), SLi and anything else you can think of capable.