1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading GPU & CPU

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Professor_Sleeth, May 10, 2013.

1. Professor_Sleeth

Professor_Sleeth Member

I'll be upgrading my pc shortly so I'll be able to play most games on highest settings. I'm not an expert when it comes to computers. Here's what I'm thinking

GPU: Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb RAM
    CPU: AMD FX 8350 8-core 4 GHz

I'll need a new motherboard as I have a AM3 socket motherboard because I have AMD Athlon II X2 3.2 GHz Dual-core processor. I was thinking this:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

Atm I have 4gb of RAM which should be OK for now, but in the near future I'll be upgrading to 8gb.

So are these components alright. Can you suggest anything better?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. john179

john179 Active member

AMD will play all the latest games as they are built for games in mind so great choice of CPU and same for GPU great choice go with it games will rock on your PC

4. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Honestly ask yourself these questions before you purchase.

1. is the game or application that i am going to be running processor dependent or graphics card dependent

a excellent example of this is doom 3 you can run doom 3 on a hp pentium 4 laptop with a 32 meg graphics card because it depends on the cpu not on the graphics card.

2. also look at max ram for the board if you can go to 16 gig at time of purchase go for it better to spend the money now versus in a few months noticing you should have purchased the memory when you bought the board.

3. cheaper is not always better ( especially with hd graphics cards make sure the card actually plugs into the computers power supply not a low voltage card like the hd radeon 6450 where it does hd but cannot handle high frame rate do to not enough voltage)

these simple things will help you build a happy machine

5. ddp

megadunderhead, high frame rates has nothing to do with the low voltage as it is the card ram amount & gpu determines the frame rate speed.

6. snakebeans

snakebeans Member

im also in the process of purchasing a new PC, although i have just started to question myself on the right PSU required. the spec of my system will be:
    MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
    RAM: 2 X 4gb 1866mhz
    CPU: FX8350
    GPU: Sapphire 7970

i was hoping to get a large enough power supply to support SLI/Crossfire when i decide to get a second card. Originally i was planning on getting a 850w PSU, however im not so sure now. can someone please advise me further... i have tried a few different sites that calculate the Wattage, but some say 850 is fine other say its not.

my issue is i cannot afford to stretch to a higher wattage PSU as the GPU is soaking up most of my budget.

thanks in advance.

P.S. keep up the good work guy's.

7. ddp

snakebeans, should start your own thread as hijacking another member's thread is a forum rule no no.

8. john179

john179 Active member

To be honest everyone mentions frame rate and so on but it is hardly noticed between cpu and gpu in total honesty providing you get a decent spec. i7 or FX 8350 what will the difference very little to make you want to spend more on a i7.If you have a budget spend wisely as some upgrades are just not worth the money. I upgraded from msi 7750 to an xfx 7850 difference none I can tell go with what you can afford mid range vs high range very little difference low range don't go there simple as.