1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

F:\blah\blah\ was used as an example. As for what I was meaning on the extraction part, you cannot launch an iso directly from a modded xbox. Either the ISO needs to be burnt to a disc & played directly, or you need to extract the contents of the ISO (the files and folders structure contained inside the ISO in it's entirety).

DVD2Xbox will copy the game from the DVD and dump all the files directly to the HD or there are a myriad of programs for the PC that can do much the same with an ISO image. A good howto can be found here - http://www.xbox360scene.com/articles/extract-iso.php

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Altus580

Altus580 Guest

Thanks. The xISO works like a charm, does just what I want it to do. I'm working the emulators right now, the first Sega one i DL'd was trash. Do you guys have any reccomendations as far as emus go (I got Game Boy NES SNES SMS N64 and PSX) ie which program is the best emulator? Other than that thanks again, this is pretty sweet, dont know why i never did it sooner I've had this old XBOX lying around for years, thinking about buying another incase this one ever kicks the bucket, after all the work i put into it i'd be P!$$ed, lol. Later fellas.

3. Rapturer

Rapturer Member

Ok so I read Atlus's comment about the chimp method and went and looked it up. I read the tuts for it and gave it a go. Like Atlus i had the problem where the HDD gave a call system repair error so I went to do what he did and put the original back in and run chimp again. However now when I disconnect the DVD drive after chimp is open, my xbox freezes.

4. Altus580

Altus580 Guest

So you have chimp running, w/ the dvd loose (but not all the way out) you load chimp, unplug the dvd drive and the box freezes? If the original HDD still works try removing and then re-installing chimp, maybe it's a little mucked up from the first go still.

5. Rapturer

Rapturer Member

I reinstalled chimp, loaded it up to test that it was working before I got everything to try again and discovered that it freezes after being open for a couple seconds.

6. hydrosolr

hydrosolr Member

I feel bad for having to post here but i've run out of things to try. I'm trying to upgrade my stock softmod HD to a spare terabyte i had laying around. However i keep getting an error 13 after I restore the drive.

Edit:
    I had a bad IDE cable. Replaced it and everything is working fine now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. Altus580

Altus580 Guest

@Rapturer
    Sorry man, I dont really have any advice for you. I'm not too advanced at this stuff, wish I could help...

8. Swango

Swango Member

To be honest I have never even heard of chimp method..... I did research though and found that http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postt21718.html the chimp method freezes any xbox version 1.6

you can in fact use chimp on 1.6 via telnet http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-255.html

Once again I have not even heard of this this is just research I have done

My suggestion in changing hard drives to anyone is this method http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828 this is xboxhdm 1.9 method I have used it on over 20 xbox systems with no problem. The best part is that you have a backup disc if anything ever goes wrong you merely reinstall the files onto the drive using the disc. When i mod for my friends I always give them their backup disc and tell them if they have problems to bring me the system with the disc.

*** Please read those threads thoroughly as to avoid any problems BEFORE you attempt ***

If you have anymore ?? let me know....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  9. Rapturer

Rapturer Member

Chimp doesn't freeze to a green screen for me, it loads up then freezes after a few seconds when it's loaded. It worked fine the first time so it's not due to a 1.6 xbox.

Also the computer method wont work for me, seems it doesn't work with newer computers.

10. Swango

Swango Member

yeah, P4's dont seem to work, PIII's are so easy to come by though, and I use one solely for upgrading hdds or if I need to repair error codes I can slap the disc in and reinstall all the files, wipes most all error codes
    Sorry i cant help ya with chimp though...never used it before
    Try looking up Chunkhead's tutorials here on AD... he has a page that has almost everything that has to do withxbox systems...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

There I made it easy for ya as I keep that page on favorites...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  11. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

One of the issues with XboxHDM as it stands now is a lack of updating for newer hardware. The Linux Kernel shipped in the XboxHDM disc is old. PIII era and many AMD Athlon model PCs work extremely well. Newer SATA based systems do not.

That said, the XboxHDM program in version 1.9 can be made to work relatively well in most any modern Linux distro. The only limitation for most is the lack of the XFat filesystem support. If a person had the time, it could easily be updated for modern hardware.

12. otis1

otis1 Member

k i got a prob something like this i got a 1.6 xbox soft modded and i got a 200GB HDD i want to put in it. iv done this b 4 on my desk top but i don't have it any more i have a laptop and cant use xboxhdm on a lap top i tried my moms comp but i cant lock it on there and i tried chimp but its a 1.6 xbox so it don't work and my XP has no telnet and i have win 7 duel boot but telnet don't work on there for this and i know how 2 ftp i got all my backup's

Is there any thing that i can do to lock this HDD?
    its all reddy from when i used xboxhdm

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Please ditch the lazy and annoying text speak

14. Rapturer

Rapturer Member

I didn't touch my xbox for 2 weeks. Pulled it apart to give chimp another go and it loaded up fine. Ran it through it's bits and bobs, went to work while it was copying over, came home and had to firehydrant it cause it was running so hot xD (jks).
    Turned it off for a couple hours and tried out the new HDD and all's good. Been using the new hard drive for a couple weeks now.

15. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

You must find a PC capable of booting the XboxHDM disc that has an available IDE port either onboard or using a PCI - IDE adapter card. Good luck!!

16. Rapturer

Rapturer Member

He doesn't have to. You can use chimp to lock it from the motherboard.

17. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

I was unaware chimp worked on 1.6 series Xboxes. . . I stand corrected

18. otis1

otis1 Member

i have pci - ide card same one i used 2 mod my 360 but it don't work in xboxhdm

and what do u mean i can use chimp 2 lock it it just go's 2 a green sceen? do u meen on a comp?

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  20. otis1

otis1 Member

what do u meen? im a retard GGGRRRRRRRHH