1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Modboxer

Modboxer Member

triple post

Sorry I got overreacted

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Alright guys i don't need 5 emails notifying me that you are chatting in here. Try to not to abuse the forums.

3. bigdog626

bigdog626 Regular member

i got a 500gb hdd after i got it all set up how do i format the remaining space with UnleashX for it to be available once you're finished the upgrade.

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

5. footbal95

footbal95 Member

Here you go I got it from here, Upgrade Xbox HDD.

Pretty much the extra space is divided into the other partitions. G, H, etc.

Any questions just post :)

If your HDD is larger then 137GB, you will also need to format a G:\

In order to do that, you will need the UnleashX dashboard.
    Go to the 'Format' menu, enter 'Xbox' as the password and the 'Format G:\'. The rest of the space will now be available.

I'd like to give credit to all who helped devise these programs, people who've helped with pics and also all those who share their wisdom with us free of charge!

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Actually if you use that tool i posted you don't have to worry about size. XBpartitioner will automatically bump the partition up to 32k clusters for anything over 137gb. The only reason i don't advise using any other tool is because i've ran into problems using the aid disc. The aid disc would format your remaining space with 16k clusters no matter what. Then when that partition would fill up you would get data corruption and loose everything. It never hurts to play it safe.

7. TIsSmokn

TIsSmokn Member

Ok I really did not want to start a new topic. I really searched for days now and did not find an answer to my issue. I am posting my post from another forum because I am really not finding an answer and it seems like I may find help here. So here is my orig post and a response and what my current results are. By the way this is my special needs son's xbox and thank goodness I was playing it when it started smoking. Anyway here is the post:

I had a modded Xbox with a 320GB HDD. It was working fine until the on-board ac adapter shorted out, melted and almost caught fire. So I bought another Xbox and modded it. backed it up and created a bootdisk for xboxhdm. I took my 320GB and unlocked it with its xboxhdm disk and then with the new disk I reinstalled C on an existing xbox HDD and I locked it with the new xboxhdm disk. I then installed it and get an error 6. I tried again and this time I unlocked it with the new disk and installed a fresh C and E relocked it and still error 6.

I have tried almost everything in between now trying to figure this out. It seems I am unable to lock it to the new xbox without removing the lock from the previous xbox. The only thing I have left is to write the drive to zeros and start over. But I do not want to loose everything on the HDD F: drive. it is a lot. Any ideas or help. If I didnt answer everything, please feel free to ask. I will be checking this often because I really want to get my xbox working again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jul 29 2011, 04:10 AM) *

i find that when using xboxhdm 1.9 i have to..
    Unlock with original cd.
    REBOOT
    insert new cd.
    Lock with new cd.

END QUOTE

I tried the method you recommended and the results were the same. It wouldnt lock. The onscreen info is:

security supported yes; enabled yes; locked no; frozen no; count expired no.

I then rebooted it again and ran xboxhd to generate a new HD key. rebooted and tried to lock the HD again and the result is the same. It is not locked.

The only thing I seem to change by locking and unlocking the HD is the security enabled field. it will change from no and yes but the locked field stays no.

Please Help I have been trying to figure this out for over a week now. Thanks SO much for your idea. Hopefully someone has another!

Update: I made another bootdisk to see if that was the reason for the error, it wasnt. Also I just tried option 4 to use the dos prompt and then unlockx. On the menu screen where it shows my HDD status it says not lockable. I tried to lock and unlock it there manually with the key and no luck. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. TIsSmokn

TIsSmokn Member

Ok I finally got it to work. I started from the beginning and made new xboxhdm bootcds and remembered to reboot between each step and it worked! I unlocked it tried it got it to change from error 6 to a 5. Then I reinstalled the c drive with the new xboxhdm cd and locked the HDD and even though it said it wasnt locked I tried it anyway and it worked no errors and a fresh non burning xbox with all my old stuff on it. My son and myself are very thankful!