1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JMobile, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JMobile

JMobile Regular member

Hey guys, so my notebook just crashed on me. When I turn it on, it gives me a blank black page without getting to the Windows logo or without letting me know that it's starting up.

Without the notebook going anywhere, I forgot what specs it comes with. All I know is that it had Windows 7 Home Premium and Intel Core i5.

I'm thinking that the hard drive is toast and that I should get a new hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 again. Can I upgrade to a Windows 10 Professional version instead of Windows 7 Home Prem?

I'm also going to try and add more RAM as well.

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

will have to buy the win 10 after 30 day trial. what is the model# of the laptop?

3. JMobile

JMobile Regular member

dv6t-3000

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Isn't going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 downgrading?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'd forget about getting hard drive till you know for sure that'll fix it.By what your saying it don't sound to good for the laptop.The minimum i'd expect to see on screen is the POST.Boot to the BIOS see if you can get that up & see it .This will tell you at least if graphics are ok & ram.Next step go grab a live cd of linux,i dunno puppy perhaps, somth'n small.If it runs fine when you watch a vid & the browser is ok.Then assume hdd is the culprit or a connection to the hdd

6. heymarga

heymarga Newbie

Why did you say so?

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have no first hand knowledge of Windows 10, nor do I wish to have it. I only ask that question, because most of the folks, who I know, who have gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10, went back to Windows 7. They did not like Windows 10 at all, but then again, not one of them was a phablet person.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm with GrandpaBW on Windows 10, and ScorpNZ on the hard drive. A bad hard drive shouldn't stop it from posting, because the initial text that you see when booting is fed from your bios chip, not your hard disk and there should be a bad hard disk warning somewhere in the process. I just finished a new build a few months ago and I chose to go back to Windows 7 using even hardware that it's not supposed to support, because I really don't care for Windows 8, and I really dislike Windows 10.

9. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

a bad hard disk warning doesn't always showup as I've usually find out the drive is going bad with how it loads or runs programs prompting me to test the drive for bad sectors.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The bios doesn't check for a hard drive when it posts so the only reason a hard drive would prevent it from powering up and posting is if the drive is somehow shorting the system. The hard drives only purpose is to carry the operating system and storage. I realize there's a first time for everything but my instincts tell me that he should be looking at other possibilities because a hard drive is a least likely scenario.

11. dp70

dp70 Member

12. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

can also be contamination on the board that is causing the problem not the solder.

13. dp70

dp70 Member

Regarding your theory of "contamination", would you please share you knowledge of this with me.
    As a verb: make (something) impure by exposure to or addition of a poisonous or polluting substance.
    as a noun: the action or state of making or being made impure by polluting or poisoning
    I have 55 years of electronics- mostly multi channel audio systems, and consider a day lost when I do not learn something new.