1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading my ram

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by longjonsi, Jul 28, 2003.

1. longjonsi

longjonsi Member

i was talking to some one and they want to upgrade there ram... they have a 256 already and i have heard that u need to buy the same amount that u already have. i know the 256 is in one stick thing so does he have to buy another 256 or would a 128 be ok. i dont see why u would have to buy the same but it is what i have heard.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

You do not need the same size memory in megabytes. Older systems like a 386 and some early Pentiums used to require chips to be installed in pairs - 2 8meg chips to get 16megs, but newer PCs can have a single stick installed at a time and they do not need to be the same size. I would make sure that the memory clock speed is correct for your bus speed.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

If they has one stick, then it is probally SDram, and that would be easy to upgrade. only consideration is the number of slots available. If only one( I have seen this) then that effects how to upgrade. What type of computer is it? As various computers have different limits on the amount that can be added and on what speed it can be.

4. longjonsi

longjonsi Member

ahhhhhhhhhhh, i told my friend what u said and then he started to ask me some more q's and i found out he really didnt even know what ram was. hes really lookin for more hard drive space. but now i got him to join (ttufinest). but thanks for the answer to the q, i needed to know that any way

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello,
    About your ram inital question, I was talking to one of my friends and he said that appears to be the case with 400Mhz ram. Its really temprimental and best to buy chips from the same company. Even though slower he recommends only the 333Mhz.
    To clear up hard drive space, just go through his temp folder. I bet he has close to 300Mb there and other temp locations my also need clearing. That will free up lots of Hard drive space. Also buying 60Gb drives is fairly cheap. Even in Canada where I am from.