1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bhorny, Nov 20, 2007.

1. bhorny

bhorny Member

I was looking at getting some RAM for my hp dv2000 notebook. I look at the hp site and it said that it can only support 2 gigs of RAM and I wanted to know.. why is that? What will happen if I put more than that in? I've been digging through the forums but I can't find an answer..not yet anyway. Any help would be great!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Notebooks pretty much universally only have two slots for RAM. Consequently the 2GB limit means that it will only support memory modules of 1GB or less. If you put a 2GB module in one of the slots, it will either ignore it, or more likely not boot.

3. bhorny

bhorny Member

I looked at the expansion bay for the RAM and it has the two slots. I wanted to do a 2gigx2 setup but you think that I'll be stuck with a 1gx2 huh? I wonder why the ram would be limited.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2GB memory modules are a very recent development, and as such older chipsets won't recognise them.

5. bhorny

bhorny Member

The ram specs are the same excluding the size. I'm running Vista since it came as the os. It has a AMD 64X2 I wouldn't think that the chip set used in the machine would be different but I don't know anything about computers. I'm going to email hp or go over there since they're a mile away..

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately there are lots of different DV2000s around there, so I couldn't say what the specific chipset is.
    My X2 system can only support 1GB memory modules whereas my Core 2 Duo system will take the 2GB modules.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. bhorny

bhorny Member

Thank you for all your help with my problem. Like I said I'm slow in the head and didn't know where I could find detailed system info but I got it and it said it will support up to 4 gigs!!! I'm stoked!! Thanks again!!!!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, congrats!