1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Upgrading the monitor on gateway laptop to led lcd, from fluorescent lcd

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by phore, Dec 14, 2014.

1. phore

phore Newbie

Hello,
    I have a gateway W350A Laptop with windows vista.
    The screen is a Compound Fluorescent LCD.
    I would like to replace it with a LED LCD.
    To my knowledge they do not make a LED option for this laptop, so i will be replacing the screen with a similar LED screen from a different laptop.
    I understand that this will likely make my laptop look goofy and I do not mind.
    The laptops dimensions are 33cm wide by 24.5cm long by 4cm deep.
    The dimensions for the screens casing is 33cm wide by 24.5cm long by 1.5cm deep.
    The dimensions for the screens display is 30.5cm (12in) wide by 19.2cm (7.5in) tall (corresponds to long above).
    There are 3 hinges on the bottom of the laptop that connect to the screen and are 3cm wide each.
    The first one is at the left top corner. The next begins at 9.3cm from the left top corner. The final one is at the right corner, 29.9cm from the left corner. The hinges are unevenly spaced as you can discern from the above measurements.
    There are 2 hinges on the screen that fit into the gaps between the 3 on the bottom. The one on the left is 6.4cm wide. The one on the right is 17.7 cm wide.

Does gateway have any comparable laptops with led screens, that i can use as a replacement.
    If not what are my options.

I searched google and this forum, but did not find this question answered. It this question has been answered before please direct me to the page.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Tony

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why do you want to change the screens?

3. phore

phore Newbie

I like the way led screens look more than fluorescent screens.

If anyone knows of a good video guide with English instructions, on replacing the fluorescent bulbs with led strips that would be great as well.

Thank you.

4. ddp

won't find any bulbs as they are not there as I've replaced enough laptop screen & scraped numbers of laptops to know. all backlighting are part of the screen not a separate componenet.

5. phore

phore Newbie

Thank you for that information. So are you saying that the laptop screens are different from the larger lcd screens.

Thank you for all of your help.

As an update the only 13 inch gateway screens i can find on amazon are ccfl lit.

6. ddp

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

OP Just letting you know that it's completely pointless to change the screen on that laptop. The max resolution is 1280 x 800 and it's just not worth it.

Though if you want to upgrade who can stop you, just letting you know that IMHO it's a waste of money.

Here's a link to everything that you will need to switch the screen over to led. This screen with converter should allow you to plug in your video cable and plug in the inverter cable to the new led inverter adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOE-HT141WX...Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item232e711d87

Also be careful with that laptop, I owned a computer store for 3+ years and had a stack of gateways like yours with bad motherboards.

Good luck.