1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading xp home to pro or vista

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jacko87, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jacko87

jacko87 Member

ok i have a copy of both xp pro and vista ultimate. my main question is if i boot to the xp pro cd and choose upgrade, will it just upgrade my xp home to xp pro? if not, is it a good idea to upgrade to vista yet? i have the vista RC on another partition and a lot of my programs dont work with it...is it the same case on the real version of vista? thanks for the help as always.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's a lot better idea to simply back up your data and do a clean install than doing an upgrade. much better for your system.

as for Pro vs Vista, Pro is the obvious choice. don't go near Vista, at least for another year *if you absolutely have to*.

3. jacko87

jacko87 Member

how is it better for your system? and i dont have the resources to back up such a large amount of data. and by that post im guessing that youre saying it is possible to upgrade from home to pro?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's better because you're not mixing and matching windows files. do you have your operating system on a separate partition/drive than the rest of your data? if so, a clean install is easy.

if the copy of Pro was stamped after your copy of Home, then an upgrade is easy.