1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uprgrading my computer- Sempron or Intel Celeron D?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by omair8, Dec 23, 2004.

1. omair8

omair8 Member

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer. There are two upgrade kits I could get from a customized pc store. One is using a Sempron chip 2600+ and the other is Intel Celeron D 330. Which is one is better? This computer is used for applications like word, IE, printing, some games like Counter-strike. Right now I have a 1GHZ AMD Athlon Thunderbird with only 128MB Ram of memory and only a 40GB HDD. The upgrade kit will only boost the memory up to 256MB PC3200 DDR and an integrated video memory of 64MB. So which kit should I get, The Sempron one or the Intel Celeron D one?

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Hmm, I'm not sure how this store can offer you an upgrade kit without offering you an entirely new motherboard. Then again in giving you a new integrated video memory I'd say they were giving you a new motherboard.

I'm just wondering how much does this upgrade kit cost?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the speed of the celeron d. is your powersupply rated for p4 as it needs the extra power connector to motherboard either white square 4 pin or 6 pin inline connector. does motherboard have an agp slot besides onboard video

4. omair8

omair8 Member

The Intel Celeron D330 runs at 2.6 GHZ and right now I got a pretty old motherboard with an open AGP slot. But on the store they show the mainboard with the upgrade and how many USB slots and AGP slots etc.

5. omair8

omair8 Member

I got another question. Since I have an AMD K7 Series Mainboard, is it ok to upgrade to an Asus P4P800S mainboard with the Intel 848P chipset featuring Hyper-Threading / 5.1 Audio / LAN / 8x AGP / 400mhz DDR Memory. Bundled with an Intel Pentium IV 3000 / 800 processor?

6. Divinus

Divinus Guest

That'd be fine, but like ddp recommended... Get a new Power Supply, don't take for granted that your old one is gonna carry the load of all that new stuff.

If will save you MANY headaches.

7. omair8

omair8 Member

Meh... upgrading is a headache. I will just buy a new computer in a couple years or so.... it's a better idea and I will pimp my custom computer to the max!

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Good call, omair. I agree 100%.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you are use to do upgrades & repairs not so much of a headache as when working on old p1s when use to working on p3-4s