1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent!!!!! Compiled Video Black Screen (audio works but no vid)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by plz69ansa, Sep 17, 2007.

1. plz69ansa

plz69ansa Member

My Background: Firstly, hello after dawn users. My name is Luke and I do video editing, graphic design, game development and 3d modeling on my computer for a hobby fairly consistently and very rarely come to a problem that is too difficult to solve or get around but here I am.

Project History
    Ok, here is what I am trying to do:
    I have recorded some video of my soccer team winning the grand final on my old handy cam tape cassette taking camera. From this camera I have used my DVD recorder to copy the footage onto a few DVDs. From these DVD's I have retrieved the .vob files on my computer.

Now heres what I wanted to do:
    to edit the footage, add commentary, and then reburn it to a DVD.

So this is what I did:
    I wanted to use WMM (Windows Movie Maker)so I converted the .vob files to avi using "kingdia Video Converter" (as it was necessary to convert because as far as I know .vob files don't work on WMM). This worked for most of the clips but some clips wouldn't load into Kingdia so I used "Super - the free video converter" for these ones.

So I loaded up the .avi files into WMM and they imported successfully
    and I edited them, and they played back fine in the preview screen on WMM. So after I'd finished editing I compiled the movie (about 2hr/30 mins) so I left it run over night due to WMM slow compilation speed.

When it has finished and I checked the file in the morning it played as a black screen (except for the the Windows Movie Maker Titles I had added, thus meaning it is not a video card issue), although it was a 2 and a half hour black screen video the audio of the file still worked fine when I hit play in Windows Media Player.

Things I think may have gone wrong:

-the .avi files were corrupted in some way
    (even though they imported well and played in windows media player)
    -one of the settings in WMM were wrong (though I doubt it)

Things I think may work:
    -updating to version 2 of WMM (as I have the standard XP edition)
    -using a screen capture device to record the preview in WMM
    (as this preview works perfectly and is exactly what I want)
    - changing a setting in WMM

PS. I have already tried the various screen capture devices:
    camtasia, hero screen recorder, FRAPS, my screen recorder 2.6.

(none of these worked because they wouldn't record WMM at all, let alone when the preview was playing)

What I want to know:
    How can I get it to compile properly?

(as in the video and audio both work and can eventually be burnt onto a DVD)

2. plz69ansa

plz69ansa Member

sorry for double post but this one did not show up so I posted another identical one, mods can remove this one now.

If you can answer my problems please go to my other post (I really want help with this problem):

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/562833