1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Help for PS2 Slim beginner

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dangerYo, Mar 20, 2007.

1. dangerYo

dangerYo Member

I have a PS2 Slim that i bought few days ago, and it only plays original cds. I want to be able to play copied cds, imported, etc...

I read a lot of threads trying to understand what is going on, i got no where. If i buy Swap magic 3.6, will i be able to play the cds on it. Or do i also have to buy the modchip and install it as well. I am very newbie to all these things, can anyone help plz?

Thanks in advance..

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

swap magic is just like the modchip. So you don't need to install the modchip.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

well, the above is only about half true. Swap Magic serves the same purpose as a modchip. They are both used for playing back ups. And with Swap Magic you will also need a set of Magic Keys for your version PS2. But Swap Magic, although cheaper, is not in the same class as a good mod chip. Some things to concider. I will use a DMS4 Pro chip as my example as that is what i have in my V12

1. Chip can play DVD9 Back ups like God Of War 2 and GT4, Swap Magic can't
    2. Chip will play games from all regions without any screen cut off or patching needed. Swap Magic can do some but not all, and will usually have some screen cut off from the conversion.
    3. a mod chip requires no swapping or discs or rebuilding of games. Swap Magic you will need to rebuild some games for them to work.
    4. DMS4 Pro has built in support for running large hard drives and also loading ELF(exploit) files, and also has a built in cheap device like AR Max. Swap Magic has none of those. If you did have a slim model that can use a HD Combo case (V12 or V13) and wanted an internal hard drive you would have to buy HD Advance 3.0 to run it and you would be limited to 200GB in size.

Only disadvantage of the chip is the cost compared to Swap Magic. It will of course cost a bit more to buy the chip and have someone install it. (teammodders.com is a good site that sells the chips and does the install)

4. dangerYo

dangerYo Member

Thank you guys for the reply.

So i think that in conclusion, the Modchip is better overall, but Swap magic is easier to install and would at least do the job. I just don't want to lose the warranty on my machine as well as there is no one to install it for me and i don't want to try myself and break it.

As long as the Swap magic would make me play the cds, then i am ok with it.

One last question though: Do i have to buy anything else with the swap magic considering that i have PS2 Slim v14 (SCHP-75001), such as PS2 Flip top cover?

Thank you guys again

5. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

YOu may have to open up the unit anyway to cover up the sensor. The pstwo slim has an additional sensor when the lid is raised up. Either way, you are gambling with the warranty.

Let the professional do your dirty work and you will get some warranty from them. Or buy a pre-modded Ps2 console and sell your ps2 unit back on Ebay. Google places that will do that.

Good luck!

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Agree with above. Some models you can install the Magic Keys you need with Swap Magic and not void the warranty, and other models you have to open the case more to get to the sensor and will void it anyway. Which ever you decide, do your research before jumping into it. And if you are in the USA then this online site will have what you need. They have the Swap Magic & Magic Keys combo, The modchips, they do installs, and sell premodded consoles. http://www.teammodders.com/
    more info on Magic Keys
    http://www.magickeys.net/MagicKeys 2.html

"The MagicKeys 2 are two aluminium and one high quality Stainless Steel components that block the lid sensors of your v12-v14 PS TWO whitout the need of opening or dismantling it and so allow you to play your backup CDs and DVDs by using Swap Magic 3.6 or similar."

7. dangerYo

dangerYo Member

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies!!

I live in Canada, and i don't think there is anyone near where i live that do these things, so i think i still have to do it myself.

Regarding the magic keys, mine is 75001 version, so i don't have a flip top therefore i don't know how will i use the magic keys.

I was just reading, that i could open the PS2 cover and replace it with a flip top cover and then maybe cover the sensors with the magic keys or tape them as other threads explain...

Do you guys think, it would work with swap magic, flip top cover, and covering the sensors?

I really appreciate your feed back.

Cheers

8. tdude511

tdude511 Member

I would recommend trying out our little soft mod setup here, it works great and you can get everything you need at your local EB Games =)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/337567

It is a bit complicated, so be patient, but it works great. It is basically a cheaper alternative to Swap Magic. It IS possible to play DVD9 games, you just need to patch them. If you have any, just search for that game and I'm sure you'll find a tutorial on how to fit it on 1 list.

9. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

That's a lot of headaches if you asked my oppinion! Sometimes, it didn't work either.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

"Regarding the magic keys, mine is 75001 version, so i don't have a flip top therefore i don't know how will i use the magic keys."

are you sure about that? A 75001 is a V14 and would have a flip top.
    http://www.mod-chip.com/en/ps2version.htm

If it is a fat PS2 you can get a fliptop case and Swap Magic combo.
    If it is a slim model you need Magic Keys II and Swap Magic.

or find a good shop, send it to them, and have a good modchip installed (more expensive but a way better option)

11. keebles

keebles Regular member

soft mods don't work on the ps2 slim, sony patched the security hole up. softmods only work on the older version ps2's.

12. dangerYo

dangerYo Member

I am sorry, i missed up this. I do have a flip cover on it.

So i guess that the swap magic and magic keys II will get it work.

What is the soft mod? Does have anything to do with Swap Magic, or is it just Modchip kinda a thing and i don't have to worry about. Because i have decided to go with the swap magic and magic keys.

Any good website for Canada that i can buy these things from ?

THank you guyz, u r amazing!!

13. steimy

steimy Active member

14. keebles

keebles Regular member

softmods are kinda like a modchip, but using a loop hole in the software's security. Using the loop hole lets you boot backups and other stuff on the unit with out installing a chip.