1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT Help Needed- All USB Slots Stopped Working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MagnusD, Apr 24, 2007.

1. MagnusD

MagnusD Regular member

I'm having a really big problem with my PC, and I need some help urgently.

Ok, up until today, all three of my USB slots have worked fine. But today, when I plugged my controller into one of the slots nothing happened and the controller wasn't detected. Then I tried plugging my USB Pen Drive in and it wasn't detected.
    I knew something was wrong so I tried my other two USB slots, and both of them don't detect anything.

I've tried restarting and the problem hasn't gone away. I've tried doing a complete system restore to the system I was using that worked yesterday, and this didn't work either.

I've tried looking around the internet and I've seen nothing about this problem anywhere.

I need help with this urgently, as I am using my USB slots constantly and can't do anything without them. What can be done to try and solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. trickyto

trickyto Member

Can you tell us the model of the motherboard, or of the PC itself?

3. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

Have you tried re-installing the motherboard drivers?
    Maybe the USB wires connected to the motherboard came loose.

Do you have a printer with USB plugs to hook up camera's, you can use that instead.

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

does the usb ports show up in device manager? check in the bios to see if they are enabled.

5. MagnusD

MagnusD Regular member

Thanks for the help everyone, it's appreciated. But I've found out that the problem is far more serious than I first thought.

Thinking that the problem may have been something to do with the way the USB is connected to the motherboard, I switched the power off to take a look. When I looked nothing seemed out of place.

But when I went to switch it back on, the computer refused to switch on at all. I tried using a completely new power supply, but this didn't change anything. Having looked into it a bit more, it seems that it's either a motherboard or processor issue.

Luckily the computer is under a year old, so the warranty is still valid. So rather than go and further mess around with it to try and fix it myself, I've got an computer engineer coming around on Friday to fix it for free.

Thanks for the help anyway :)