1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help needed for xp install

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by misty2055, Feb 23, 2007.

1. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Help! I am trying to install XP from my set up disc and it will load the drivers but hangs at the 'set up is starting windows' blue screen. I am doing this as a clean install over an existing xp system. I have tried the disc in a different PC and it loads ok. I have also tried 2 other HDD's and 3 ROM drives. If I let the existing windows load it it does it ok so seems to rule out anything I can think of.

Can anybody suggest something for me to try?

2. whompus

whompus Active member

Is it possible you have 3rd party device that needs the f6 option to load drivers during setup? Such as scsi or some raid controller. Previous installed windows load it as an upgrade or whatever, 3rd party drivers would already be loaded.

3. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks, I could try that. I have not installed anything like this and previous attempts to clean install have been fine. If I hit F6 what would I be looking for?

Thanks

4. whompus

whompus Active member

You would have to know what 3rd party device you have in the system. And have a driver disk for it ready at that time.

5. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Just to let you know, I tried the disc again having removed my audio card and away it went!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.