1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by heldel, Mar 11, 2007.

1. heldel

heldel Guest

Just got 3 red lights on my 360. Hadn't played it for a few days then put a game in today and in crashed with black and white squares on the screen, then lines. Now getting 3 red lights.

Please help

Thanks

2. imgr81337

imgr81337 Guest

the 360 web site has a tutorial on how you might be able to fix it but when mine did this i had to send it in.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

wrap it in a towel and turn it on and let it stay on for 10 minutes, turn it off, take the towel off and let it sit for about 15 minutes and turn it on, it should work!

4. heldel

heldel Guest

Thanks I will try this and hopefully it will work :)

5. handsom

handsom Regular member

If you're planning to forget the fifteen minute time limit, and just leave it wrapped in a towel long term, you might want to call the fire department, and give them the heads up. lol.

But I've heard this trick is credible... It has to do with re-warping the board, from what I understand.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

its not warping, its where the solder got hot and isnt making good connections, you need to melt the solder and let it reconnect.

7. loslobo

loslobo Member

it is at this point you should return your console to micro$ for a replacement. When it was made the solder wasn't hot enough so when the console cools down the joints shrink apart

8. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; my three red light problem came back (Sure enough), so I'm now on to the towel trick, my system is currently cooling down (I've got a launch-day system, well out of warranty, so I might as well; right?)

I've been doing some reading, and it looks like the air gun may be a next step if this doesn't work; and some people are even replacing some of the internal parts to get a better connection, and less errors. I hope I don't have to resort to this. But seeing as I don't have another $300 just laying around in wait; I may not have a choice(I don't need to replace my hard drive, if the system won't fix.)

*EDIT*
    I just finished letting mine cool; and sure enough it powered up just fine. I'm officially a believer in the trick now. If it goes bad in a few days or a week, I may try the longer times some people used(I've seen some people say one hour, but I would really want to be checking heat levels constantly on that, to prevent fire hazard, etc) or I may buy a heat gun and the tools to fix the problem once and for all; but for now I'm really pleased with the result. Thanks! This fixed my error code 0110, all is well again!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. handsom

handsom Regular member

Ugh...

It worked for about five minutes of play. First crackdown froze and went to a black screen; then I put in chromehounds(Less cpu intensive) and it went to a black screen after five or ten minutes.

I'm looking around here to see if there's a fix, or if I'm going to have to shell out another 300 for a new core system.

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

well, you wont have to pay as much, you can sell yours on ebay as a broken as is to be fixed, and people pay about 100 bucks for them, or you can try the heat gun method, but seeing as i dont have a heat gun i cant tell you if it works or not...

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

If I end up buying another one, I'll probably switch out the innards and have two working systems, lol. One for mod, one for legit. That'd probably be best.

12. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

is their a specific place where the solder messes up? can someone tell me? is their a pic around the forums somewhere?

(how do u put a pic in ur sig (lol))

13. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

from what i understand its near the cpu or on the cpu, im not really sure, but they say to heat the entire motherboard and that should fix it...

you have one, just the image is gone from imageshack just replace the url with whats there with a picture that is still working.

14. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

there is this cool pen that takes out some golden connection fluid like a gel pen or something i saw at this hardware store. im wondering if i can use that to fix broken ones, will prolly melt and burn off, idk wth!
    this is one:
    http://amiga.serveftp.net/Images/SolderResistRepairPen.jpg

(the image shows up on the url, and where can i get the 36 10million sold thing)

15. handsom

handsom Regular member

I've done a lot of googling on the topic; and it seems that the cpu has some problems, but the particular problems are mainly the GPU, probably something to do with where the mainboard warps over time. A lot of people have been swearing by heatguns (There are some great youtube clips that demonstrate this fully); and a few hardcore extremists have actually replaced some of the parts, to get a better connection. I'm going to be completely honest, and tell you that I have no friggin' clue what they replaced; but I may look into it.

As of right now, my wife is still playing Crackdown with a towel on the system, and go figure, it's still running without a hitch.

I don't quite understand this; but I just keep checking heat levels. I'm starting to suspect that a more detailed, accurate description of the problem is that certain parts are heating up faster than others, which is what causes the disconnect. With the towel on it, the whole system stays at one heat level; it's a slightly higher heat level, but it's even.

This may also explain why some people have reported that there systems function 100% if they operate the units while physically open.

And as for the solder pen, it may be worth a shot; but you may be better off doing the towel or heat gun method, because there is a lot more risk involved in directly resoldering this equipment yourself. If you're really comfortable with your soldering skills, I suggest you go for it; it would fix the connections. I personally won't because I don't trust my own hands enough to do that much soldering on something that small, that expensive, and that easy to destroy internally.

But that's just me.

Just an FYI to anyone considering the heat gun method; I checked a few places, Harbor Freight Tools sells a heat gun that goes from 633degrees, all the way up to 1033 for a whopping ten bucks; sounds like a good buy to me, probably.

***EDIT - Next Day***
    So... we played the system for a good eleven-twelve hours straight yesterday. Mostly Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It had the towel on all day. All day, I monitored the heat about every twenty minutes (Sounds like a lot, but not really.) I found that as long as the towel wasn't blocking the rear exhaust, the system never felt hot. It barely felt warm at the hottest point of the day(We're in San Diego, CA; we may not be the hottest place on earth, but we definitely get pretty darned hot during the day!) I made sure the back opening was clear, and it was definitely warm back there; but that was all. Not one single crash, error, hang, glitch, freeze, no red lights, no nothing. The system just plain performed perfectly once a towel was on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  16. loslobo

loslobo Member

glad you got it working however it is an acknowledged and replaceable problem as i originally posted , no doubt if you run your console with a towel around it eventually you will shorten its life.

17. handsom

handsom Regular member

Um, it's not replaceable in my case.... It's a launch system. Even though I bought the extended warranty through gamestop, theirs and M$ ran out even on the extended warranty; it's a launch system.

I've got the towel off for a couple days now; and it's working fine, just seems it needed to get the solder re-formed I'm assuming, because it's gone a few days without a single hiccup yet. Hopefully it will stay that way; it'd also keep the lifetime up as well, as previously mentioned. I'm hoping not to have to replace the system; but I also acknowledge that in the next few months; that's going to have to happen. I'm still just weighing out a few options regarding how to go about getting the new one, and getting rid of the old one.

***Edit***
    So, I just had to put the towel back on, because sure enough, the three red lights came back. Oh, how I love quality manufactured equipment, eh? So, yeah, back to the towel system. I realize that it cuts down the life of certain pieces of hardware inside; but I also realize that if the system isn't working at all without this trick; that the overall system life has just been extended from 'dead' to 'probably dying soon' lol. If I'm forced to choose between the two, I'll take 'probably dying soon'. In the meantime, I still keep a good frequent temp check, and sure enough, only the rear exhaust ever pumps out anything warm, the rest of the system never gets there. It's almost like M$ didn't do the old 'wind tunnel' trick at all, like they did with the OG 'box... And I'm starting to suspect that's exactly the case. I still need to do some testing. I want to see how well it operates when open, and/or with a fan blowing on the mobo. If that keeps it all running at one temp, and keeps it a cool temp (Unlike the towel method) I might just do a rather unusual case mod, with several fans on a secondary power supply or something, who knows; but I'll keep everyone updated on this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007