1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Urgent] Unbricking psp slim ...formatting flash0 taking too long?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by yfriend, Jan 26, 2008.

1. yfriend

yfriend Member

i bricked my psp slim so i borrowed my friend's fat psp, made a pandora battery and magic stick (512mb sandisk) using UPMS, booted into despertar cementerio v3, backed up my nand and then pressed X to install firmware 3.71 m33. it said:

Loading updater modules... OK
    Formating flash0...

it stood their for about 15-20 mins, i thought it got stuck or something so i removed the battery and booted it up again. pressed X again to install 3.71 m33 in despertar cementerio v3 but again its been more than 45 mins now and its still stuck at the same formattin flash0 step. this can't be normal, how long does it take to format flash while unbricking psp slim? ..what could be wrong?

2. PlowKing

PlowKing Guest

Try to remake the memory stick..

3. yfriend

yfriend Member

it worked after repartitioning the flash from the NAND tool

4. SonsofM

SonsofM Member

First post, totally lost, and I have the same problem. Slim PSP - had it working on 3.71 m33-4, ran something on it, good, turned it off. Now bricked - when I try to re-pandora, it hangs on "formatting flash" - of course I didn't do a nand dump beforehand.

How does one go about repartitioning the flash from the NAND tool - what is the NAND tool? Sorry for being a moron.

best

_J_

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. rickem

rickem Regular member

If you have a UPMS, when you boot to DC screen goto utilities(I think)and it has a couple extra programs, one being nand tool.

Reformat flash and then go back to menu and re install firmware

6. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

had to do this once on a psp after writing .prx file to the flash0 on 3.71m33 do this :Fixing your PSP Flash Memory Partition Tables

There is a bug in 3.71 M33-2, when using the 'Toggle Flash' options in recovery mode.
    using it to write to flash may cause your PSP Flash Partition tables to become corrupted.
    You will need to use NandTool to re-partition your PSP Flash memory.

NandTool 0.3b1:
    Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lopm79
    Mirror : http://www.zshare.net/download/56809643bd8998/

Installing Nand-tool
    (most users can skip this step as I've included Nand-tool as a part of the Pandora Install Files)
    1. Download 'NandTool 0.3b1' and extract it to a folder on your computer, you will get a file called 'backup.elf'
    2. Insert your 'Pandora Memory Stick' into your PSP and connect it to your computer (or use a memory stick card reader)
    3. Copy the 'backup.elf' file and paste it inside the "KD" folder and overwrite the existing file.
    4. Close the USB connection and disconnect the USB Cable. (or take memory stick out of the card reader)

Instructions on Using NAND-Tool:

5. Make sure you have at least 33mb of 'free space' on your memory stick' for a original PSP, or 66mb for a slim PSP.
    6. Insert 'Pandora Memory Stick' into your PSP
    7. Insert 'Pandora Battery' into your PSP while holding the 'L' button to access 'Pandora Recovery Menu'.
    8. Hold the 'Square' button for 2 seconds to start the 'NAND Dumper' program.

9. On the next screen, press 'O' to go to the next part of the dumper.
    10. Choose 'Dump from NAND' option and press 'X', choose "Nand-dump.bin' and press 'X'
    * Please wait while your PSP NAND is being copied to your memory stick *

11. Once the dump is completed press 'X', now press 'O' to go back to the main menu.
    12. Select the 'Other' menu option and press 'X'
    13. Select the 'Repartition lflash' option and press 'X'
    14. Press 'Triangle' to confirm you want to 'logically format the flash'
    * Wait while the lflash area is logically formatted *

15. After the lflash format has been completed, press 'X'
    16. Press 'O' to go back to the main menu.
    17. Scroll down to 'Quit' and press 'X'

18. You will now be back at the 'Pandora Recovery Menu'
    19. Press 'X' to install 'Custom firmware 3.71 M33' and it should install custom firmware.

After the custom firmware install has finished, your PSP should hopefully be working properly.
    I recommend you to make another backup of your NAND using 'NandTool' and making a copy of it to your computer.
    Overwrite the 'old non-working dump' with a new dump of your working PSP.
    If the 'flash' gets corrupted again, you can restore the dump instead of repartitioning and installing the custom firmware again.

that is using this pandora mem stick Pandora Battery Files to install '3.71 M33-2' (Version 4) (~23.7 mb)Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/91aeat
    Mirror : http://www.zshare.net/download/5681331c453cf6/

7. SonsofM

SonsofM Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help. The problem is - my Magic Stick (whoa, no puns, no puns) is a standard magic stick - I had the damn thing working on 3.72 m33 (-4 i think), ran something on it, turned it off, and now - nothing. Do I need to get a card reader to alter the contents of, or remake the magic stick, to give me more options? I do get the menu to install custom or standard 3.71 firmwares.

I can't boot USB mode because I can't get anywhere on this damn thing, brick mode in full effect. Am I f'ed? Maybe I just don't understand exactly what I need to do. I don't see the utilities option so I guess I need to remake the stick. But then I'll need a new PSP for that, right?

I also read somewhere about the possibility (if I ever manage to resurrect this revenant PSP I have here) that I might lose the ability to read from the discs by damaging something else?

Shoot, I shoulda left this for the pro's. Jailbreaking iPhones is one thing, but man, this is an entirely new ball of wax.

8. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

yes you can recreate the memory stick on a pc with a card reader go here for the guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610313 you might want to try that first to see if a file on the mem stick is corrupt but what it sounds like is the partitions in your flash may be messed up so you may need to follow the guide above or use rickem suggestion

9. SonsofM

SonsofM Member

For sure my partition tables are thrashed, and that's the problem. There's no other reason for it to hang on "formatting flash0" indefinitely. But when I boot DC menu, I only have 4 options - install factory 3.71, custom 3.71, dump nand, read nand. I can't put it in recovery mode. I have to trick my pandora installer into using the nandtool somehow, right?

10. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

yes so i would start with my post above copy the file to your current pandora and see if it will work you may need to rebuild you memory stick to the one above or one with more options but my eariler post is the most help i can realy offer this is not a very common problem

11. SonsofM

SonsofM Member

Hey Wasted,

Just wanted to say thanks - with some tinkering, on Vista, no less, I managed to get it back. If you change the file in kd to the backup.elf from nand tool, the DC menu doesn't change. you have to hit square for dump nand, and all the nandtool options come up. repartition the flash, and it's gravy.

i haven't tested umd on it yet, so we'll see if that held. i doubt it, but at least it's a resurrected homebrew!

anyhow, thanks again, i really appreciate it. this is a very helpful community...

_J_

12. SonsofM

SonsofM Member

Well - now here's something weird - it will work one time, i.e., I can play anything - snes emu, ffVII, etc. - once - and then after I power down the machine, it bricks. I repandora, repartition flash, reinstall 3.71 M33, it works once, then brick.

Weird! Anyone seen this before?

_J_

13. crisis23

crisis23 Member

ok now i have a problem while doing these steps

12. Select the 'Other' menu option and press 'X'
    13. Select the 'Repartition lflash' option and press 'X'
    14. Press 'Triangle' to confirm you want to 'logically format the flash'
    * Wait while the lflash area is logically formatted *

while the lflash is logically formatting i get something that says:
    ERROR: ran out of NAND for lflash exiting in 10 seconds

anyone know whats up???

14. rstar15

rstar15 Member

ok i did everything and downgrading completes. its says shot off psp or something. when i try to turn it on the green light turns on but nothing else happens. i tried with the cable and a regular battery. what do i do

15. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

after the downgrade and cfw completes it asks you to press x to turn off your psp you must press x or you brick your psp if you just shut it off use the pandora again when it completes press x then remove the pandora battery and plugin the psp it should boot normal

16. bily4b

bily4b Member

hi everyone can anyone help me how to make a pandora memory stick with pandora371-v4 i have tht file and no read me in it
    i want to make it exatly like wasted420 sayes