1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb 2.0 vs Firewire

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by VJbob, Dec 29, 2004.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

Most external hard drives and DVD/CD burners have both firewire and USB 2.0 inputs. SInce my last usb 2.0 hub burnt out I was wondering if I should replace it with either one of the two. I've never tried firewire. Is it faster, more efficient than usb 2.0? If I wanted to get a camcorder I would definitely need firewire. Although I still have a usb2.0 connection on my PC should I upgrade to firewire? Is that an upgrade?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

USB 2.0 is SLIGHTLY faster than firewire. USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits/sec, where as firewire is 400 Mbits/sec. So as far as speed goes they are pretty much the same. I have and use both, and I don't really think one is better than the other. Firewire still has an advantage because it is the most common form of high-speed external data transfer. Especially with the new firewire 2.0 coming out, which is 800Mbits/sec.

So in my opinion it really depends on what you are using it for. If you have or plan to buy devices that are firewire, than you can get a cheap pci firewire card for under $30. It is nice having both, because you never know when you need one or the other.

3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

will the new firewire 2.0 be compatible with the existing firewire ports or will it be another USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 debacle?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the new firewire is totally different plug. its square shaped. I'm not even sure if it is or going produced for PC. right now the only computer that has it is the new mac g5.

5. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

what do you mean "debacle"? Do you mean b/c current USB 1.1 ports can't transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds? If so, at least current 1.0/1.1 devices can still utilize a USB 2.0 port. Not so with new firewire.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem with usb1 & 2 as i have an external usb2 hd that i use on customer's computers & about half have usb 1 & other has 2, just takes longer to transfer at 1 instead of 2

7. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

yeah, it'll take about 40x longer to transfer over 1.1 than 2.0. That is actually a VERY significant amount of time. Highly recommend to either purchase a PCI combo card with both USB 2.0 and Firewire, or just go ahead and get yourself another USB 2.0 hub. Hubs are relatively cheap now too.