1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usb 2 jacks won't recognize connected printer ,drives ,ect...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BIGTOXY69, Dec 21, 2007.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I think I may have accidently fried my usb jacks - I mistakenly unplugged my external DVD burner will it was on and now my Printer or any other gear that I plug in any usb jack on this desktop will not work - well my mouse ( usb ) still does ! the printer and drives (Usb) show up and work fine on my laptop so I don't think it's a hardware problem on the external side ! when I go to device manager under Usb it says unknown device ?regardless of what device is plugged in( ext. HDD, Ext DVD, or Printer/scanner ! I removed and reinstalled my printer software so that's not it either ! I have even tried system restore a few times thinking maybe that would help but no dice ! I can do most things that I use USB for on my laptop But I mainly use my desktop so I'd like to get it working if I can Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your mouse which is usb is working correctly? do you have a ps2 mouse?

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

ddp- mouse is usb have ps2 adapter

4. ddp

uninstall the unknown devices from device manager & restart windows so can find new hardware & hopefully install drivers for them.

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

tried that but still gets unknown device message - my epson cx-7800 for example is seen by and works fine with my laptop but wont print from or scan to the desktop ? Thanks for the help so far though!!!!!!! Merry Christmas !Maybe I'll stick it in the shop after the holidays ? or Try and convince The wife That it's time fer' a New one ? LOL !!! as Comedienne Judy Tenuda says " It could happen !!!!!!!" Yeah Right as my Grandson says Too !!!! again Thanx & Best wishes !!!!!

6. ddp

save your data & do a windows re-install.

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

I have my original restore disc ( Emachines W2040) but I had to replace My Motherboard & Power supply this year So will the Restore disc still work with the computer or am I going to have to order another copy of XP or Xp Pro to do a reinstall ? I have the Disc that came with the motherboard if that helps ? Thanx again ddp

8. ddp

the installed windows will do the changes so don't need the xp cd.

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

ddp- Okay Thanx again - and enjoy your Christams & new years or whatever traditions you observe Peace !!!!!!!!!!!

10. ddp

no problem, merry christmas