1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Audio interface

Discussion in 'Audio' started by EsirnuS, Oct 27, 2004.

1. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

am looking to buy a usb audio interface for home recording on my PC. In the past i have used a KORG d16 and KORG D1600 standalone digital multitrack devices to record but would like to move to PC based recording.

ive seen such devices as the EDIROL UA700 interface and mixer and wondered if anyone has any experience with such devices and any idea if the Eridol unit is a good machine for £199?

any advice would be great

Es

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

EsirnuS-

I don't know how advanced of audio you want to be editing, but if you are looking for high quality software and hardware, I would HIGHLY recommend using Pro Tools. I've used it for about 5 years now, and it is the industry standard in the entertainment industy. You can get a USB 1.1 powered MBOX, with 2 channels in/out at 48K, plus digital SPDIF interface along with Pro Tools 6.4 for about $450. According to Google, 199 pounds equates to $365.43. Its definately worth the extra money. With Pro Tools LE you get 32 audio tracks, zero latency, many nice plugins, the list goes on and on. But like I said, it all depends on what you want to record. Pro Tools does only run on XP Pro however, with at least SP1. For the money, compared to other crappy audio interfaces out there, you can't beat it.

3. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

Scoop

thanks for the reply

i have got a copy of cakewalk sonar 4 producer edition http://www.pugh.co.uk/Products/Cakewalk/sonarproducer-4.htm
    and am quite interested in using this software after a lengthy demo from a recording friend of mine. It seems immense!

the decision for me now is what audio interface to use to get the guitars and vocals and keyboards into the computer

the Edirol unit seems like a nice little unit for the money. however, i know from experience that when i get into the "ins n outs" of recording this way i will have to upgrade the equipment once i know what im doin with it!

cheers

Es

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Very true, it seems like every year they come out with new gear with higher sample rates, making your existing equipment obsolete. But as long as you have good solid equipment and software to begin with, it should last and serve its purpose for a few years.

I have heard good things about Sonar, another good high end audio app is Cubase, however its probably out of your price range. But as long as you have a decent interface, you shouldn't have much trouble. Good luck with your recording sessions!

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

A friend of mine suggested this to me:

http://mackie.com/products/spike/index.html

A 2 channel in/out USB interface with Tracktion software by Mackie. Don't know how much it goes for, and have never used Tracktion (sounds new) but the interface does do 96K 24bit recording...not bad.