1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB ERROR MESSAGE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tripplite, Jun 20, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

so i unpluggd my wireless
    reciever without going through the safetly remove hardware option, when i plugged it back in it gave me this

IT READS: " oNE of the usb device attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it, for assistance in solving this problem, click this message"

(of course clicking this message does nothing)

any ideas?? i already did a restore point and it didn't work, i plugged it into my old computer , and it worked
    anything will be apperciated

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It does that for all USB ports? You may have to manually uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers.

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i tried that, no usb port will work, it says it maulfuntcioned,

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

BIZZARE, i fixed it, you wouldn't believe how, by simply turning of your computer, unplugging it (this all owes for all power to stop flowing through the mother board) the universal serial buses (usb) are reset, geeze i thought i was going to shoot my self after going into the device manager so many times

-thanks all

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol indeed, if I were pedantic I'd say all power doesn't stop flowing through the motherboard when the PC switches off (in fact some USB devices can communicate with the PC such that they are still powered after the PC has turned off), network cards still running for wake-on-LAN etc. but yes, a good old fashioned power cycle is always still worth it!

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

no, it worked but not really, if i restart my computer or, turn it off and on again, i get the same message, i dont want to go through having to do this cycle each time, and apperantly reinstalling windows wont help??? any ideas

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it works on another PC, reinstalling windows will help, unless your actual USB ports have malfunctioned. If the problem recurs with all your USB ports, then that can't be the case either.

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well i reinstalled windows and no luck.... how ever the reciever is working now, until i restart....

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And the same is true for all USB ports, and yet it works fine in another computer with the same drivers installed? Perhaps your USB ports are messed up.

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well all my usb ports will run any device, how ever when this one device is plugged it it goes nuts and gives me an error message, from what i understand the drivers for it failed to wake up, my computer does give it the name of "unknown device" is there anyway to manual y load a driver " how would you go about exporting it/(wheres are the drivers root directory file)?

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

USB is good like this ie plays up now and then (i have the same intermittent fun in Linux); just go into Device Manager and see what USB items have the yellow exclamation mark next to them