1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB EXTREME

Discussion in 'PS2' started by I_Am_High, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I_Am_High

I_Am_High Member

So I see that USB Extreme has been released, which allows you to connect an external hdd to the slim ps2. Does anyone know of anywhere you can go to download the USB Extreme .elf file so that you would be able to boot it via the mc exploit? My normal source dosen't have it.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

How will USB Extreme work?
    What other things will you need apart from USB Extreme and an External Hard Drive?
    How would you put games onto the Hard Drive?
    And could you transfer a game from your PC to the hard Drive?

Cheers :)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  4. manofman

manofman Guest

How will USB Extreme work?
    How to use USBeXtreme

USBeXtreme User Manual

Before Start:

To use the USBeXtreme on your PS2, you will need a USB Hard drive Enclosure with Hard drive installed (both devices are sold separately), either 3.5’’ or 2.5’’ USB Hard drive Enclosure with Hard drive can be use.

*For the installation of the Hard drive on your HDD enclosure, please refer to the user manual of the Hard drive Enclosure.

Hard drive formatting

If you are using a new hard drive, you will need to initial the hard drive with Windows. To initial the hard drive, connect the hard drive enclosure to your PC’s USB port and install the driver*, then go to Windows “Control Panel” à “Administrative Tools” à “Computer Management”, find “Disk Management” on the tree diagram. After that you will able to view all drives installed in your PC, select the newly installed hard drive, right click and choose “initialize”, follow the on screen instruction and the hard drive will be initialize by your PC and assign a driver letter to it.

You can format the drive by using NTFS format in order to use up the maximum space of the hard drive.

If the hard drive has formatted and assigned a drive letter successfully, you will see a new drive in “My Computer”

* For the driver installation, please refer to the user manual of the hard drive enclosure

Download the Client software of USBeXtreme from http://www.usbextreme.com/download, unzip the file and run the USBeXtreme_setup.exe file, then the tools will be extracted into the drive C. Please DO NOT change the default installation path except you are familiar with MS-DOS command.

After extracted the USBeXtreme Client software, go to “Start”à”Run”,

Enter “Command” to start using command prompt, change directory to the root directory C drive by entering command cd\ and press enter, you will see C:\> appear on the command line after successful. You can refer to the following picture.

Then you can enter the following command.

ul_format X format

“X” is the drive letter of your USB hard drive.

The format action will take a few minutes, it is depends on the capacity of the partition you created, please DO NOT remove the hard drive or power off the USB hdd enclosure during this period.

Game Converting

To convert games from DVD/CD to the USB hard drive, please connect the USB drive to your PC, then go to command prompt “Start”à”Run”àenter “Command”, change directory to the root directory C drive by entering command cd\ and press enter, you will see C:\> appear on the command line after successful. You can refer to the following picture.

Then you can enter the following command.

ul_install SourceDrive TargetDrive GameName CD/DVD

e.g. if your DVD/CD-Rom drive is drive D, and the USB HDD is E, and you are about converting a PS2 DVD game “Metal Gear Solid”, the command will be the following

ul_install D E MetalGearSolid DVD

you can refer to the following picture

**Game converting will take a few minutes depend on the game file size.

Game Playing

Connect and power on the USB HDD to your PS2 and boot your PS2 with USBeXtreme, when you see the game selection menu, select the game and press X on the joypad, the game will then run immediately.

LOL there si the gude guide.
    ]
    You will transfer the games to the hdd via pc because the hdd is an external hard drive.

Yes it transfers via software that is on the www.hdadvance.com site.
  5. carapalid

carapalid Member

hi, i was hoping to ask another question about your guide on the usbextreme, please?

so as i understand i have to be plugging the HD from the ps2 to the pc and vice versa to get this usb extreme to work? i place the games from my pc to the external HD, then i have to connect the HD to the PS2 to play? there is NO way arround this?

so...do you know anything about the HD loader? the one that requires the network adapter and the internal HD from sony? i already have the adapter...so...perhaps if i dont' want to be moving the HD back and forth i can go with the HD loader isntead of the usbextreme?

thank you in advance.

yg.
  6. manofman

manofman Guest

so as i understand i have to be plugging the HD from the ps2 to the pc and vice versa to get this usb extreme to work?

Well what you need to do is simple, just stick the usb cord from the ps2 to the pc, which takes 5 seconds. Then put your games from your pc on the external hard drive, then finally connect it back to your ps2 where the usb extreme disc will load the games you put on the hard drive.

i place the games from my pc to the external HD, then i have to connect the HD to the PS2 to play? there is NO way arround this?
    Well i dont know if there is a way around this for now, the external hard drive will stay in t eh external case all around so i dont know if the software can read it directly, mabye in future updates.

so...do you know anything about the HD loader? the one that requires the network adapter and the internal HD from sony?
    If you got a ps2 normal, not the slim line then i say go for the hdadvance 2.0 since the 2.0 accepts up to a 237 gig hard drive, while the discontinued hdloader only accepts up to 120 gb. The cheapest place on the weeb you can find the hdadvance 2.0 for is for $23.99 NTSC and 21.99 PAL version. Any other cheap place? please post below.

i already have the adapter...so...perhaps if i dont' want to be moving the HD back and forth i can go with the HD loader isntead of the usbextreme?
    If you have the pstwo slim then you have to go with the usb extreme since the slim version doesnt allow the adapter, but snce you have the adapter and it seems you got an old ps2 i would reccomend a hdadvance 2.0 :). Hope that helped.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  7. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

Do you have a Slim PS2?
    If so then you can only use USB Extreme..
    If you have the older PS2 then you can use HD Advance and theres threads about the place to help you :)
  8. I_Am_High

I_Am_High Member

If you are thinking about getting a hard drive for your ps2 you should definately consider doing the mc exploit to your ps2. This exploit allows you to boot various programs off your memory card, including hd advance and/or hd loader. It would also give to you the ability to apply a patch to your hd loader giving you full use of hard drives up to 2 terabytes in size. Personally I prefer hdloader, which has more patches available than hd advance. Also, hd loader is the origional, hd advance is in essence a rip off of it. No offense to any hd advance users.
  9. MorriesSa

MorriesSa Member

Is there maybe anyway for me to download the USBeXtreme DVD. I don't mind paying, but i'm from South Africa and for me to get it will cost a lot. Can you burn the USBeXtreme DVD yourself or is it protected like the PS2 games?
  10. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

You can download USBAdvance. It's the exact same thing, only free and for download. :)
  11. shooks

shooks Member

what is usbAdvance and where do you download it?
  12. MorriesSa

MorriesSa Member

I downloaded the USBAdvance1.Cracked-PS2Scene.rar file from http://www.eurasia.nu/.

The files in the zip files are:
    usba.nfo (2KB)
    usb-advance.bin (34,520KB)
    usb-advance.cue (1KB)
    USBAdvance-PC-Software.zip (With ul_format.exe and ul_install.exe)

I don't know if this is all i need. But how do i create the CD for the PS2. Can i use any format? CD-R & CD+R and should it be on a CD or DVD ?

I tested it on a CD-R and i created the CD with clone-cd. But the PS2 (Slimline) just display that error message (Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disk).

Please let me know if i'm doing something wrong. And if i must write the CD/DVD in a special format.
    And can i test the CD without the USB HDD connected to the PS2?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm really in the dark here... lol

Thanx
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  13. Ag3ntNe0

Ag3ntNe0 Guest

MorriesSa, what kinda mod are u usin for ur ps2?
  14. MorriesSa

MorriesSa Member

I don't have a mod chip installed.

Do i need to?

"Excellent compatibility, USBAdvance is compatible with ALL PS2 Consoles".

Is there no way for me to leave my PS2 as is (no chip) and still connect my USB HDD to it?
  15. Mufc_Rule

Mufc_Rule Regular member

Could you use Swap Magic for it to work?
    Still waiting for mine to be delivered so cant try :(
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  16. Ag3ntNe0

Ag3ntNe0 Guest

LOL man you need some kind of mod to get burned software to work.
  17. manofman

manofman Guest

The problem is to play these "hacked" versions you require a modchip, no matter what peiople say, you can tplay burned ps2 cd's without a modchip.
  18. DurGil

DurGil Guest

Is there provision to allow for save game data on the external HD? Will I be able to use HD space in lieu of memory cards? Will I still need to get ARMax or a similar program to transfere saved games to my Mem cards? Just curious.

Thanks
  19. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I have a Gameshark and i've played plenty of copied games. I'll give you the fact that it would be easier to have a modchip, but you don't HAVE to have one. I just have an old Gameshark V2. Now, time to go play some God of War with HDloader...
  20. I_Am_High

I_Am_High Member

Manofman... you don't need a mod chip to play anything. You certainly don't need one to put a downloaded version of hd loader/advance on your system, but you must do the mc exploit. As for a backed up game i've never had a problem, as long as u put it on your hdd. Same thing with downloaded games, they are just an iso file, you don't even need to burn it to disc, just transfer it to the hdd.
  21. manofman

manofman Guest

yes i never though of a exploit. Sorry for that messup, but most people cant do an eploit.