1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Instant DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by stollery, Jul 19, 2002.

1. stollery

stollery Guest

I initially posted this question under the Newbie section and received no hits so I'm trying it here in the hopes I can get the info I need. I hope I haven't violated any protocol. The question seems fairly straightforward and believe some (or many) out there have the answer. Thanks.

Using USB Instant DVD I am able to easily create a high quality MPEG2 of virutally any DVD. However, the software program provided was designed to burn CDRs and not DVDs. Since I use the new HP200i DVD burner, what would be the best way to burn an MPEG2 to a DVD+RW so it can be played in a stand alone DVD player? The fact that I used this medium to create an MPEG2 shouldn't matter, I don't believe, but I'm no expert. Additionally, I have a host of installed programs that can probably do the job, but would like an "experts" opinion before I proceed.
    Thanks

2. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, I won't be of any help to your question, but I might answer another question or two. I
    also have a hp200 and I burned a couple of dvds that play on my computer, but won't play on my stand alone dvd player. I have purchased three dvd players that our suppose to play these dvd+r, but only if they are copied dvds.
    HP sent me a list of a lot of dvd players that support dvd+r but I've had no luck. Got to keep checking to find one.

3. stollery

stollery Guest

Hi. I really have had no problems ripping DVDs and then burning them to blanks for playing on standalone machines. However, the ripping process is a little time consuming and I'm strapped for time so that's why I use USB Instant DVD to burn everything in MPEG2. I guess the real question still to be answered is what is the best program to correctly identify the MPEG2 file and then "perform it's magic" so it can be played on my standalone DVD player?

4. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi again. I think that you might be able to use
    either Ulead or Pinnacle. Do the dvd+r disc play on your stand alone dvd player. Mine don't. I just tried to burn a movie using dvd+rw, but this hp burner says the disc isn't
    formatted. I wish I hadn't gotten an hp. I'm going to call them now. I am sorry that I couldn't help you more.

5. stollery

stollery Guest

Since I own and operate a computer/video business I have access to a lot of equipment. In almost every case HP200i burned DVDs play on today's DVD players. Apex DVD players, while low end, seem to play anything you throw in them. My preference has always been high end Toshiba's or JVC's, but that's just me. You might try Sonic's MyDVD Ver 3.5 that just came out. If you have the HP200i, you can bring up that program, go to updates, and download the latest patch free of charge. I did so last evening and will try the new versiion and see how it works. Will let you know.

6. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, Well, since haven't fixed my problem, but
    reading all the posts, I came across this site, I think it may help you. It is: dvdripguides.com. I went there and it has the info for mpeg1 and mpeg2 and a few other things. I hope it helps. Take care.