1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Loader GX can't find my HD!! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by smilesy, Jul 2, 2009.

1. smilesy

smilesy Member

Hi All,
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, or has been answered before, but I can’t find an answer that fixes my problem.

I am new to Softmoding a Wii (or any sort of console moding). I have a Wii with 4.0e on it, and have gone through this guide new and improved wii softmod guide ! (great guide and worked perfectly) to install Homebrew, and then I have gone through this guide guide: usb loader gx to install USB Loader GX, and the application opens but can’t find the hard drive (tried both USB’s). I’m using a Lacie 160gb Mobile Disk, which according to this (USB Devices Compatibility List) should work, but isn’t. I have installed WBFS Manager 3.0.1 and formatted the drive to WBFS, but no love.

When I plug the HD into the Wii the blue led on the HD comes on for a while (around 30 secs I guess), and then goes off, so to me that says that it is not on, so I’m guessing that is the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong and how to fix it?
    Code:

Cheers

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the wii can be picky in detecting drives. before plugging the drive in, turn off the wii. then plug it in the left side (bottom if flat). then turn on the wii. i've always done this on my custom external, and it always works.

4. smilesy

smilesy Member

I think I tried that, but it didn't fix it, but I'll give it a go to make sure.
    Thanks

5. Chaos17

Chaos17 Regular member

Try this.

Make sure your Wii is OFF not on standby The light on the front should to be red. Hold the power button until its its red.

6. smilesy

smilesy Member

Tried that but still no joy. I some new info though. It is when i load USB Loader GX that the light on my HD turns off.

7. AMatthews

AMatthews Regular member

Do you have at least cIOS36rev9 or above? And the latest revision of USB Loader GX?

8. smilesy

smilesy Member

I think I do, how to i check what cIOS i have. I know i have the lastest USB Loader GX.

Been trying to work it out, but no go so far. I have found some new things though. The hard drive light stays on until I open USB Loader GX or the Homebrew channel, then it goes off.

9. AMatthews

AMatthews Regular member

For the most part you just remember which cIOS you have but they install over each other easily. So just google cIOS38rev13 and install that. I would give you a link but I'm typing this from Wii. So its point click point click...

10. smilesy

smilesy Member

Installed that but still no go. I think had installed that already, so no change.

11. AMatthews

AMatthews Regular member

Have you tried formatting the drive with the Wii (USB Loader) instead of with WBFS? You've tried both USB slots? You don't have like a GB flash drive you could try?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  12. AMatthews

AMatthews Regular member

I'm sorry I just read where you tried both USBs

13. fiber32

fiber32 Regular member

have you tried using different USB cable? can you put regular files on the HDD when in FAT32 using your computer?

14. smilesy

smilesy Member

SUCCSESS!!! It was the hard drive, got a different one to work. Thansk for the help.

15. rog2e

rog2e Member

Smilesy, can you share which Hard Drive worked. I've been going crazy all weekend myself with the exact same problem. I have a external Maxtor 250GB one touch which doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking about buying a WD Passport just for this.

16. smilesy

smilesy Member

Hey mate,
    I'll try and remember after work tonight. The one i have is a very cheap enclosure i got a couple of years ago, so probably not so much of a help. It has a 80gb wd hard drive in it.

17. jokerman1

jokerman1 Member

i got a new wd 160gb hard drive but ti doesn't work an error comes come ( saying cannot find a disk pelase attcking and some iso 222 and 246 comes one plz someone help

18. smilesy

smilesy Member

The one i have is called a "Zazz" hard drive enclosure. I've never heard of them before this one.

19. smilesy

smilesy Member

I could't get my wd 160gb to work, the other one i have works perfectly, so i don't think the WD one is compatable. So only advice i have is try another one

20. bep0p21

bep0p21 Member

I had a simular problem where if i had left my HD turned on before i loaded usb loader. I just loaded the wii and before i started usb loader i plugged in the HD and then loaded usb loader, its worked everytime.

21. GregCo

GregCo Member

I have the same problem. I have a WD 120gb external hard drive, and the latest usb loader GX and the newest files. Pretty much NOTHING should go wrong. So I get my hard drive to work the first time, no problem. After I was done playing one of my backups, I exit via the home button to the wii menu. When I decided to go back into usb loader, it cannot find the hard drive. I've tried turning off the wii completly, waiting for the HBC to come up to turn on my hard drive, different slots, everything. Nothing.

So I gave up. Then the next morning I try again and it WORKS. WTF. So I play one of my backups and then once again exit via home button and go back to usb loader and the same thing happens again. WTF again!