1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB modchip. do they work???

Discussion in 'PS2' started by turkf26, Jan 10, 2003.

1. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

i am about to buy a USB plug in mod chip for my ps2. is there any advice you guys can give me??? do they really work???

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The only advice I can give you is telling you that you would be miles better off in the long run if you get another modchip. preferably a no swap modchip like messial or magic 3+

USB mods do work but there have been numerous problems with lately as you will seee if you just read around the forum a bit!

3. Luckystar

Luckystar Member

I got a USB modchip to sell.Contact me if you are interested at xxxxxxxxxxxx.

This is not Ebay. No direct sales/advertising allowed

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  4. rlich8

rlich8 Member

Sure they work, its just a question if you want to go and swap all kinds of discs when you start up. You arent really going to save much money after you get a USB Chip and then The GameShark. IMO, just get a Messiah 2. Excellent chip. Works with any PS2.

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Yes they work, and quite well for a less than $30 mod, if you only want to boot CDR's. You will have to solder 2 points of 1 wire to make it work. It's really not a bad mod for the price and ease of installation. If you want to boot more types of titles (DVD-R), then you will have to upgrade to another mod. But if price is a factor (other chips being expensive to buy/install) then it is not that bad. Dex

6. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

so if i wasnt to backup ps2 games and play them on dvd+rw disks, the usb mod wont work that good???

7. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

The usb mod won't work at all for dvd-r. Plus like rlich8 said you won't save any money. You will actually pay much more for a "pain in the a$$" mod. usb mod is about $15 plus $40 for a gameshark your looking at $55 to only play cd-r with swapping. For about $25 you can get a magic 3 that will boot anything without swapping.

8. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

the only problem is that i do not want to take the chance of screwing up my ps2 by sodering in a chip. i dont want to pay someone else to do it either.

9. Dela

Well, I'm sure everyone can understand that but, everyone knows someone who solders and would know what they are doing. Just try and think of someone easy. Its a waste of money if you ask me paying someone to do it for you aswell but if you want to avoid not being able to play dvd-r/rw games then you need to egt a magic 3 or something. Between magic 3 and messiah 2 i'd pick the magic 3 if i were you (no, not because i have one wizkid :).

10. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Well then you're out of luck turk because you either need to do it yourself or pay someone to do it. I agree about the magic 3 dela. My reason being the price. Very cheap and they do everything.

11. Dela

My point exactly. No need getting a modchip that won't play dvd-r games perfectly!

12. Kjarboe

Kjarboe Member

How about the no solder mod chips......i am getting mixed reviews......do they or do thet not play DVD copied media?

13. Oner

If price and installing is a problem but you want to do everything then you'll have to save up to get what you want. If you can find someone to install it for free then a Magic 3 or Messiah is the best around. But if you have to pay a skilled person to solder it in then your gonna pay more than the $50 dollars (average) for the USB mod. Expect for at least $50-$75 dollars to install the chip (unless you get lucky and the person gives you a deal) and the cost of the chip around $40 dollars (usually) plus shipping. Unless you send your PS2 out somewhere then it'll cost you around $100 dollars plus shipping (maybe)....So it's up to your pockets and how badly you want to play with the compatibility (CD/DVD etc.)thrown in there also.

1. USB mod $15 plus shipping, GS $30-40 used or new locally

2. Magic/Messiah $40-$50 plus shipping, Installation, Free (maybe) or $50-$75 (possibly) for local install, or about $100 dollars or more to ship your PS2 out and get a Chip and Install together

If you can get a Magic or Messiah it is well worth it for the price/options it gives you. It all depends on how much you can spend. But since you asked about USB and No Solder mod (which I'm sure everyone will agree they are not worth it) and also stated you don't want to pay anyone to install it....then you have a problem. You can always go with the Swipe Card and Swap Magic method ($30 dollars plus shipping total) here is the link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/checkmate/swipe.html

You are going to be limited becuase you don't want to pay anyone to install a proper chip, but you want to play backups....You have to find a medium that suits your needs. I don't think any other options for you have been missed. I think Bluebus said it correctly "Well then you're out of luck turk because you either need to do it yourself or pay someone to do it. ". Later

14. Luckystar

Luckystar Member

Hey,i sell my USB modchip at 10 USD plus a boot disc.You don't need to get a Gameshark2 in order to boot up the disc.Anyway,the USB modchip only require to solder one wire.That's very easy.Hey brother you can't find any of this cheap deals on the web.Consider this seriously.Even though USB modchip isn't the best choice of mod,i am sure you can't resist this price.

15. Dela

well put it this way too, only has to solder one wire BUT with a magic 3.5 he'd only have to solder 9 wires with a v5/v6 or v7 ps2 and its a no swap mod so no need for a gameshark or anything. just put in and play! If i had no mochip (i have a magic 3), I'd still buy a no sweap for 60-70 rather than pay 5 for a usb if it was offered!

16. Luckystar

Luckystar Member

Hey,Dela just let the turkf26 make his decision.If the cost is the main problem,he will surely consider my USB mod.If it is not,then let him choosey the no swap.But as i know,you can get a Magic 3 out there at 40 bucks.Installing not included though.

17. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

Lucky, for the USB modchip, where do i have to soder the 1 wire too???

18. Oner

19. Luckystar

Luckystar Member

20. chief3

chief3 Member

I currently have USBkey and noticed that my DVD-r's are not playing on the PS2. Thanks for the information regarding the mod. However, I had a few DVD-R's that do work with this setup.

At any rate, does the one wire for the USBkey need to be removed in order to update to a newer mod requiring no swapping? Hope I didn't miss a FAQ.

Oh, also anywhere I can purchase (US) another PS2 already wired and good to go.

Thanks