1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Network adapter

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rasputini, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rasputini

rasputini Member

Hello Afterdawn,

I recently bought myself a wifi based tablet which I like to use at work in place of my laptop. The only problem, is there is no wifi signal in the office. There is a "dumb" terminal that employees can use, but I can't say I really like using it. It's connected via Lan. There is another Lan port that we can use to plug in laptops via ethernet. I managed to turn my laptop into a wifi hotspot via ad hoc network by plugging it in to the lan line. Anyway, the question I have is: am I able to use a usb network adapter with the dumb terminal (which is connected to a router via Lan) in order to create an ad hoc wifi network with which I could connect my tablet (so that I don't need to bring in my laptop)?

I understand that the primary use of a usb network adapter is to connect a non-wireless device to a wireless network. However, the few that I've looked at seem to be able to create ad hoc networks. Am I just totally misunderstanding how these devices can be used/connected, or is there some way to make this work?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the tablet has usb ports then can use an usb ethernet adapter to hardwire the tablet to router. i use 1 sometimes when reloading a customer's windows & windows does not install the computer's netcard drivers.

3. rasputini

rasputini Member

The tablet does have a USB port... Kind of. I have an Asus Transformer TF700, which has a USB port on the keyboard dock. I'd be more than a little surprised if it was able to connect via the method you described. The only internet options I see in the settings are for Wifi or data. However, since it doesn't have any sort of data connectivity, it's wifi only. I appreciate the suggestion.