1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB restarts my PC

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pinkerton, Jan 18, 2004.

1. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Hello

My pc keeps rebooting when i start it up, it gets to the desktop then, without warning restarts as if ripped the powerlead out, it does this about 3 times before starting normally. I reckon its my modem (which is connected via USB) 'cause now i've taken it out it never does it. i just have to plug it back in when i want to go on the net.

Any suggestions?

cheers :)

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Virus ?

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

I had a similar thing a while back. It was a USB Nostromo N50 Speedpad. When it was connected I couldn't boot properly, but it would work fine if I plugged it in after everything had booted. I did all the usual things, updated to latest drivers and all, but never did figure it out. This was on a pc running windows 98, and after it was replaced with XP the problem went away.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly you are close on maxing out your power supply. A USB device will pull about 5 watts and maybe the initial surge of everything on bootup is maxing it out. For instance a hard drive spining up to 7500 RPM uses more power to get there than one that is already spinning at that speed.