1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Sound cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ruddy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy Member

My sound card on my laptop is fried, so no sound. Its a Dell latitude with the sound card attached to the motherboard wich I am not going to replace. A friend mentioned about getting a USB sound card, attaching it to speakers, will this take care of my loss of sound?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should do yes, there's nothing in common hardware-wise. As long as the USB ports still work fine, you'll be alright. However, onboard sound not working is usually the first sign of a motherboard chipset failure, in which case the USB ports, and finally the whole motherboard may soon follow.
    I use this sound card, and it's great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102174&Tpk=sound+blaster+external
    Most of the reviews moan about it not having Optical support for 5.1 which it doesn't, but it's a reliable card with loads of features, and it'll be much better than your onboard sound. Just don't lose the CD, Creative don't post drivers on their website!

3. Ruddy

Ruddy Member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If all you want is some sound and you don't care about quality etc, then something like that would work fine, just obviously heed my caveat about the USB ports...

5. Ruddy

Ruddy Member

I know my USB port is working, just wanted to be able to hear some sounds off a few games, not worried about quality

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then what you've picked out will probably suffice.