1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Video Capture Device(s)

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by backlot, Dec 20, 2004.

1. backlot

backlot Member

I love AfterDawn.
    Do you ever wonder how people, with the same equipment, can have experiences that are 180 degrees out from each other?
    Maybe MicroSoft can come up with a Direct-X for video capture.

2. roryoss

roryoss Member

i only want to copy some old vhs tapes to dvd i have an svhs connector on my computer and the specs are::
    CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
    Motherboard Name Biostar K8NHA-M / K8NHA Pro
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3, AMD Hammer
    Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT (256 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 XT
    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Creative SB Audigy LS [NoDB]
    Physical Memory:
    Total 1023 MB
    Used 299 MB
    Free 723 MB
    Utilization 29 %

ive done the dvd stuff with dvd shrink and nero and have the plextor 716 burner

my question is do i need a capture card or will a program like Ulead DVD Movie Factory or Ulead Video Suite capture the video after i hook the vcr to the Puter!! or what software would work best or do i also need to add a card or some hardware!!!!! thanks

3. pfh

pfh Guest

I don't see mention of svhs connector in your system specs.
    You might have a video card capable of dual display? and typically one needs a convertor to convert the anolog vhs signal from vcr to a digital signal before it enters your computer or as it enters. These anolog to digital convertors usually come with the capture software that's also needed as a user interface to control them.
    Now, there are esentially 3 ways of doing this- 1)connect thru fire wire port. 2) connect thru usb 2.0 port. 3) connect thru internal pci card. You are looking at anolog capture here.
    At least you've done the dvd burning stuff so you're familiar with the end product but that is a digital to digital process. What you're thinking about now is anolog to digital THEN process and burn to dvd.
    Hope that helps.

4. roryoss

roryoss Member

thanks; i think the s video is an output anyway ! so its another card with input or an analog converter<px mx402u> i do have a digital video cam i could run it thru but the firewire part of the cam doesnt work or output!! but im gonna give that another shot also!!

i also dont want to download the files on the puter but burn directly to dvd!! no editing needed !

any suggestions on converters or software would be welcomed!!!!!!!! thanks again!

5. johnsogj

johnsogj Guest

Is a capture device the correct hardware to record/broadcast video directly from a camcorder? I'm looking for a solution to broadcast audio/video over the internet and was curious if this is the type of hardware I should be looking at!

Thanks in advance!

6. leestrada

leestrada Member

I have been capturing with a Dazzle DVC 150 in usb 2 using a Dell 4500 2 Ghz with 768 Mhz RAM

Results are great compared with the older DVC 80 which was usb 1.1

No sync prob's and video never drops any frames.

7. tmog

tmog Member

Question #1: Are you talking about capturing video on USB 2.0 or USB 1.1?

Question #2: Is this really true?

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Even USB 2.0 can be hard pressed to capture full D1.
    Yes, a hardware encoder onboard the capture device takes between 90 and 100% of the load off the CPU.

9. tmog

tmog Member

Someone should just pick out a video capture card that is not expensive and I will go buy it.

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Hauppauge PVR-250. Probably the best "bang for the buck" in hardware encoder cards. It's internal though, not USB (if that's what you're looking for now).
    Comes with a decent software package too.
    If you happen to be in Europe, I have a PAL version of that card for sale <wink>.

11. tmog

tmog Member

Thanks Jim,

You are always the one to come through and you don't complain about helping people. I am in Georgia, USA. Where are you? Yeah, I would be interested in a PCI Video capture card like the one you described here. (Hauppauge PVR-250). But I'm guessing I will need to stick to the NTSC.

12. tmog

tmog Member

Considering it's a DVR & I aready own one of those. What would be the next best thing with Vid capture cards?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

All capture cards could be considered "DVR's".
    The difference is that this card doesn't care how good (or bad) your other hardware is, it will capture with never a dropped frame, never a complaint (except about hard drive space for those 8 hour Buffy marathons) <grin>.
    It comes with enough software to capture from VCR, Hi-8 cam, Digital video cam, dvd player, whatever....just about any source with video OR audio out. Yes, it will even capture audio from any stereo hi-fi system, radio, whatever...as well as any TV station you currently get, either from antenna, cable, digital cable, or satellite.
    If the incoming box has some sort of output, the PVR-250 can be plugged into, and you can get it on your computer.
    It also comes with some reasonable editing and authoring software (Ulead DVD movie factory), so you don't have to purchase an editor or authoring app.
    There are some excellent 3rd party applications for it as well. Things like GB-PVR which makes it just like your standalone PVR, but you can use the PVR-250's remote on your computer with it (the stock WinTV2000 does this too).

Yes, you'll need the NTSC version, and BTW, I'm way north in B.C. Canada :)

14. tmog

tmog Member

For the Hauppauge PVR-250 can I use any software to capture video?
    Can I use the MyDVD 5 authoring software option to get video from vid capture card?
    Same with the DVDLab standard will it inport video in from the Hauppauge PVR-250?
    My question my have been redundant. Sorry.

15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, MyDVD 5 supports the Hauppauge PVR-250.
    Details are on this page: http://www.sonic.com/products/mydvd/common/video.asp
    You can also get GB-PVR, which is free.
    There are a bunch of other programs you can capture with. Nerovision Express, Intervideo WinDVD Creator, etc, but you only really need Sonic MyDVD5.
    I'm downloading the Sonic MyDVD 5 trial now, so I'll test it, and report back in a bit.

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Well, it won't install for me...no matter.
    According to the Sonic MyDVD website, you should be able to capture, edit, author, and burn, all with that one program, using the Hauppauge PVR-250.
    Notice on the link above, they tell you what cards they support. Maybe you could investigate one of the others if you like. It's not a very long list...

17. tmog

tmog Member

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 is that model 980?
    What do you think about the WinTV-PVR-350? Better than the 250? I want to get it cheap.

18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

19. tmog

tmog Member

I heard the WinTV-PVR 150 was better and less expensive and based on the 250 & 350. But, I couldn't tell you the difference between them all other then it's less expensive & it's newer. What do you think Jim?

20. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The 150 has a different chip, and right now, there are some serious issues with audio sync. Until hauppauge fixes this, with a flash of some sort, or driver, I would not buy one.
    I definitely would say they're not better at all.
    check the forums here: http://www.shspvr.com/forum/index.php