1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB voltage ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oldkraut48, Dec 8, 2014.

1. oldkraut48

oldkraut48 Member

Long story short, had a bluetooth wireless headset that died on me this year and replaced it with an other brand that didn't include a wall charger but has a USB charger with it. I would like to use the old wireless wall charger if the voltages would match up as it has the correct mini-USB connector. The old charger puts out 5 volts and 180 MA. Does anyone know what kind of voltage a USB port puts out on a desktop computer ? The new unit is a HBM -290 made by LG and I have found a couple of wall chargers for sale, but no specs. on how much juice they put out. Thanks.

Ted

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

all usb ports output 5v & at least .5a(500ma)

3. aldan

aldan Active member

that would certainly work then.

4. oldkraut48

oldkraut48 Member

Thanks , exactly what I wanted to know. Suspected it would work, but wanted to make sure as electronics are very unforgiving in that category.

Ted

5. omendata

omendata Regular member

Its voltage that counts - get the wrong one OVER the spec required and its ta-ta to your device & perhaps your house.

Current also plays a part - the lower the ma the slower your headset will recharge.

You ideally need the wattage of the device you want to power then work out the charger you need.
    Usb3.0 ports supply more current for your devices and some motherboards like Asrock provide a special usb charging port that gets a lot more juice so use usb3.0 ports if you have a choice and dont use the same root hub as other devices - ideally if you want the fastest possible charge it shouldnt be sharing the usb hub with any other peripherals.