1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USBeXtreme instead of the other route internally

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ThaSunGod, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

I've got the new PS2 slimline with a USB 2.0 70 gig Western Digital Hard drive...

will the games run at normal speed? i know loading times are affected by like a 4 second gap or somethin but the games would still run at normal speed am i right?

2. hedgerock

hedgerock Member

I believe so. Some forums have people saying there is no way it would load as fast - stating that the DVD-Rom plays at 50 MB/sec whereas USB1.1 only transfers at 12 MB/sec. However they don't seem to be taking the drive speed into account. The PS2 has a 4x DVD-Rom drive which runs at around 5 MB/sec, same as the 24x CD-Rom drive speed. So the USB1.1 port on the PS2 should be the same speed if not up to 2x faster.

3. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

so the PS2 doesnt have any USB "2.0" ports? i was chatt'n with live support on "modchipstore.com" and asked him this question. He said the games should actually run faster since I have a USB 2.0 drive transfer rate is like 440 megs a sec or somethin.

4. hedgerock

hedgerock Member

The drive is USB2.0, but it would be bottle-necked by the USB1.1 port that the PS2 has - I believe. I just got my USB2.0 HDD in the mail (still waiting on the USBExtreme software). I am not bothered by the "long load times" though. As long as it loads is fine by me. With the Swap Magic discs I've been using... getting them to load at all is a miracle sometimes!

5. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

Awwe man. i've ordered the swap magic 3 kit. I've got the Slim line Ps2. Are these disks really that bad?

6. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I'd just get my money back for the slimline, not buy USB extreem, and buy an Old good PS2. And run my games off the harddrive the EASY way. The CHEAP way. Even if it wasn't easier, cheap i heard that the new Slimline PS2's have issues. Thats not supprising considering that there's no fan or proper ventalation in them. Plus i refuse to buy anything affiliated with ps2 ownz\nfo at all. Those people are like some kiddie version of the governments in the book Fareinheit 451. Except they can't quite get it right.

7. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

well, my PS@ slimline been work'n fine. I read on here that only a batch of them are defected or somethin...

but i wanna try my luvck with this USB extreme.

8. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

USB Extreem cost money. Why not use the free version you can download? USB Advanced? Just came out today.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  9. hedgerock

hedgerock Member

Swap Magic 3 might be okay, I heard it has a lot of updates to fix issues that were on the old discs. I liked the idea of Swap Magic because I am not going to open up the console and install a modchip (or even the solderless modchip. But I tried three different consoles before it read the DVD disc, and I have yet to get the CD disk to work. It is a hassle and USB Extreme will make it easy for my wife to play any of the games without going through the hassles and procedures with the Swap Magic. Sometimes I have to reboot 3-4 times before it says "Insert Disk". Hard drive sounds a lot more convenient. I also have another disk that makes a USB hard drive into a memory card - hoping to have everyhting stored on this one drive.

10. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

oh really? hard drive to memory card? hot... And Malc, post a link of the USB Advanced i'm curious not unless that was a joke for HD advance.

11. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

All i really know is right there. http://ps2hd.com/
    Seems to be legit. All's i'm saying is test it out before you buy Extreme and help support those ps2nfo Nazis. I never really had anything against them until they banned me for trying to help someone out with playing God of War off his harddrive. That's litererally it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  12. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

wish i new where to get USBadvance from, it aint appear'n on google.

13. sirandyb

sirandyb Regular member

there was a link in here but its not comming up on the search. it was a link to a website to download three versions of usbadvance thankfully i downloaded all three b4 it disappeared off the face of the earth!if i remember the site i will post it

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  14. sirandyb

sirandyb Regular member

heres the three i got http://naplink.napalm-x.com/ i dont know how to use them so if some1 can let me know. how do i brun them to CD or is it better to burn to dvd any particular order etc...
    cheers