1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USBHDD with USBExtreme Problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JAdamM, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

Well I just got back from my lunch break. I just got SwapMagic 3.8 in the mail today so I went to hook up my USBHDD to my PS2. It turned on loading USBAdvance and it showed a list of my games. The first game I tried to play was Tekken 5. It loaded up and it seemed to take a lot longer then just mounting the origional game. The intro movie was very choppy so I just skipped it. The game played perfect actually just it took forever to load the maps and such. I turned off my PS2 and tried to load DDR Extreme 2 and SuperNOVA for my girlfriend but neither would load. It came up and showed me a black screen and stood there for 5 minutes and then I turned it off. I unhooked my USBHDD and hooked it to my pc. I did a disk defragment and I had to come back to work. I am back at work now and I need some help. Will the disk defragment help the load times or is there anything else that I can do. Also I would like to know why DDR didnt load. I have a slim PS2 version 15a with a MY Book USBHDD. Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. steimy

steimy Active member

usually a USB drive will have about the same load times as a disc.
    An internal drive on the other hand will be much faster

3. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

yes but I only have a slim ps2 which doesnt support internal hdd's. the question is does a disk defrag lower the load times on a ps2?

4. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

Tomb Raider Legend loaded but it is in black and white and the screen is flashing like on old cable tv when you try and watch a channel you dont have.

5. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

Anyone that could help me I would highly appreciate it.
    *Games on my USBHDD work with slow load times: Is there any way to lower the load time.
    *Games on my USBHDD load up showing them in black and white and the screen scrolls up and down: Is there any way to fix this issue. I am sure it has something to do with the format.
    *Games on my USBHDD act like they are loading but then sit there and the screen goes blank: Is there any way to fix this issue or will I have to get another copy of the game.

6. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

I just did a PAL to NTSC convert on a game and it no londer has a flashing screen it now just comes up with a blank screen. So help please!?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

No, defrag will help a PC but i doubt highly that it
    will make any difference in your games loading times.
    USB is just slow, and if you use USB you just have to deal with it.
    If you are having that many issues with the hard drive then i would look into getting another brand.

the only way to fix the black and white or rolling screen problem
    is if USB Extreme has a video mode selection like a good
    modchip would, or even like swap magic. But even if it does you will probably be stuck with a little screen cut off.

8. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I have been using a USB drive for quite some time now and I run quite a lot of games on it.
    Some games do load slow at first, or movies at start play choppy but the game plays fine.
    Best to make sure all games are NTSC or at least are multi so you can just move analog or directional to the right to choose 60 hz.
    For some games I have had to do the DNAS swap. Swap the IOPRP and DNAS with one from a Original PS2 game that matches, or sometimes just swapping one of them works.
    There is a tutorial and a game list somewhere that tells what games people have tried. The list may not be complete depending if any peeps have updated what works for them.

I have successfully changed a few games to work. It takes some time and fooling around with it and they don't all work.
    For the games that wont play on USB I just put on DVD and play with Swap Magic 3.8 and they work fine. Havent found a game yet that doesnt work with it.

9. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

Thank you for all your help, finally someone that doesnt give me a yes or no answer. I appreciate it...

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member