1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use 6 channel or 2 channel audio???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by baracus11, Jun 24, 2003.

1. baracus11

baracus11 Guest

I have been using only the 6 channel 5.1 audio for my burnt dvds. When playing out of a 2 channel system it seems to play OK, but I have heard from others that it doesn't? I am wondering what most are using for their movies. I know I can burn both formats, but I want the highest quality video also. Does anyone know about how many megs that 2 hours of 2 channel will add the dvd??

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

I also lack a surround sound system, but I always use the six-channel audio stream in anticipation of the day when I have the right hardware. I have no trouble playing it through my sterea TV -> in fact, it seems to me that the six channel sounds better from my two speakers than the two channel feed does.
    Strange....

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If selecting 2ch, a 6channel system will gues the 6 channel sounds. It will produce an ok result, but you wont get seperate surround sounds. If you select a 6ch and leave out the 2 channel, you will still be able to play it on a 2ch system.

Chris

4. anosis

anosis Guest

Suppose you got a DTS and/or Dolby Digital Receiver/Amplifier, but only conected the stereo speakers, you would hear most of the accoustics. On the other hand, if you got a fairly old stereo amp and wanted to listen to a DTS or AC3 coded DVD you would not hear anything. Also, most DVD standalone players have stereo output, which means that they mix down the original 6ch sound to only two channels -> this will play of course also on a common stereo amp (red and white RCA connections for left and right channel).

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just to add:

Alot of dvd's have commentary on and this is usually the 2 channel - so just becareful if you only process wtih 2 channel - you may just get commentary only.

Most TV/Stereos, will downmix the 5.1 and produce either mono/stereo depending on your hardware.....
    So 9/10 it is better just to keep the 5.1 anyway.

If you just keep the DTS - you need to have a suitable decoder - amp that will decode and transmit in DTS otherwise as anosis says you will hear zippo...