1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Memorex DVD+R 4x on PS2

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Newfee, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

I just got a burner and went out and bought some blank DVD's without even researching. I bought 25 Memorex DVD + R 4x for $25, backed up a DVD and it didn't work. I changed the burn speed to 2x and now it works fine on my PS2 (version 10). It also works on my Goldstar DVD player I bought 4 years ago that I didn't think supported DVD+R. Is this a good brand to stick with and can I use cheaper media?

2. terryzys

terryzys Guest

3. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

From what I've been reading and researching, it seems that backing up movies all depends on the burner, the media, the players...I dont mind getting better quality, but I also don't want to spend alot of money on trying other brands out if it won't work...should I try other brands if Memorex works fine? Should I try cheaper media like DVD-R (if it is cheaper than DVD+R)?

4. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

The first thing I would do is take the Memorex disc(s) you have burned and run http://www.dvdinfopro.com "Read Error" test on them to see how they REALLY compare. You may not notice errors right away but running this on them will show you the true quality of the burn.

I thought I had alright ones with Kodak until I ran this, returned the 100 disc spindle the next day and bought 3 25pk spindles of Maxell DVD-R 4x, burned 3 and ran tests, not a single error, MUCH better media!

5. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Newfee

For a media guide see http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Memorex +R uses has two media codes either RICOHJPN01 or CMC. RICOHJPN01 is good. CMC is bad

What burner are you using?

One final thought. It sounds like your have made the investment in hardware and software to back up your movies. There is time and materials needed to learn this art of backing up. Cheap media can have a shorter shelf life than quality media. Cheap media seldom is error free and backup quality is questionable. Is saving 25 cents a disc really worth it after spenting on average an hour to protect your movie investment

I hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  6. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Not sure where you look to get media codes for the media...I'm thinking DVDINFOPro? Trying it now.

My burner is LG Super Multi DVD GSA-4082B 8x. Why do you ask...does the burner matter? Thanks for all your help guys.

7. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

K, ran READ ERRORS with DVDINFO for 2 backups I made on DVD+R Memorex RICOH with no errors. Does this make them good backups?

8. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

9. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Thanks for all the help. Here's what I get from all of this...

1. Memorex DVD+R is good if it is RICOH media

2. DVD-R is most compatible, for example PS2, older and newer DVD players,etc

I just want to be sure I'm not wasting my time on burning all these backups if it won't last. I've had no errors on the disks I have backed up so far.

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Newfee

Actually DVD-ROM has a 99% success rate - most commercial DVDs are DVD-ROM. Some burning programs will have a compatabilty setting making +R to look like DVD-ROMs. I believe Nero has the capability

I hope this helps

11. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

So I've read about the packaging differences for Memorex DVD's...is that only for DVD+R or do the packing differences apply to DVD-R.

12. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Newfee

Only DVD +R. I have never used the -R but have heard most of the -R suck