1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcsqerly

jcsqerly Member

This was my 1st attempt at burning and I used Shrink 3.1.The movie is backed up and on my hard drive.I thought that I could burn using Shrink,if so how? I have not installed any other burning software although I do have Pinnacle Studio 8 which came with my writer. Shrink was so easy to use,I'm hoping to be able to burn using it also.Excuse me if I don't make much sense,I'm an extreme newbie getting used to the correct terminology and so happy to have found this site!
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi jcsqerly
    im not familiar with the pinnacle, but i do know, shrink doesnt burn.It does interface with nero to burn but not unless you have nero.
    download dvd decrypter(free): http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm and then.
    You need to redo your disc with dvd shrink, but when it comes time,click backup, where it says select target device hit the drop down box and click,create iso disc image.Down at the bottom of this window youll see a box that says launch dvd decrypter,tick that box and when shrink is done doing its thing,decrypter will open up and burn your disc,all from freeware(ya gotta love that)
    good luck and welcome to the club
    let me know how it goes
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  4. daba

daba Guest

Hi jcsqerly,

There is no burning capability in Shrink. But the latest version (3.1.7) allows you to write the files to the hard drive as an ISO image file that DVD Decrypter (freeware) can burn to a disc.

I think you should consider to buy a burning software though, so that you can burn any kind of stuff (music, video, data). Many people here use Nero and are happy with it (including myself). For 70 dollars (or 50 euros) you will get disc burning, video editing, DVD authoring, MPEG-2/4 encoding and more. Plus a tool that allows you to use RW discs as floppy discs. It's worth the money.

Welcome on board !
  5. 922588

922588 Guest

Hi,

My current config is as follow:
    DVD Shrink (latest) - compress and decode
    ImgTool (latest) - convert to ISO
    DVD Decrypter - Burn to DVD

All these softwares can be liked all together to form a sound dvd copying system, so no need to buy anything.
    all these are free !

best regards
  6. daba

daba Guest

@ 922588:
    The latest DVD Shrink (3.1.7) can write the "shrunk" files directly as an ISO image. No need for ImgTool.
  7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

so is dvd shrink/dvd decrypter, dvd shrink to rip and shrink, and decrypter to burn(all free no need to buy a thing)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
  8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

yeah, what daba said!! lol
    thanks daba
    (note to self...learn to type faster)
    good luck
    jim
  9. 922588

922588 Guest

hi...

well, I'm using 3.1.7 as well and never saw the ISO direct creation in it. I think I will buy a new pair of glasses ...
    thanks for the comment, daba

cheers
  10. compgran

compgran Member

Hello, everyone. I'm another newbie to dvd backups. I've been using DVD X Copy Platinum, DVD Express and DVD Copy Plus. Platinum gives me disk errors 70% of the time. Express did ok, but wouldn't let me back up all the content on the DVD, and Copy Plus gave me unacceptable quality. I've spent a lot of money, and only made a few acceptable quality backups. I don't mind doing a few extra clicks, but I would REALLY like to actually back up some DVD's that are usable. I'm a little concerned because I read above that the DVD Shrink produces ISO files. That's what Copy Plus does and the result was lousy. I've got an AMD XP 2100+ system with 512Mb ram and 160Gb hard drive. Running XP Pro SP1 with all updates done. NVidia GeForce4 MX video card. I've got both Nero 5 and Roxio 6. What do you think? I don't want to invest the energy and add more software to my system if I'm not going to get a better result. Any input would be most appreciated. Seems like there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Thanks. CG
  11. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

compgran - have had horrible exp with Roxio products, would suggest Shrink and Nero 6 (or Nero Xpress even) I've never burt a coaster with this combo, would also suggest Verb Datalife and Ritek G04 media as well.
  12. compgran

compgran Member

sillycybe - Thanks for your information. It's funny, but the only success I've had burning data dvd's has been with Roxio, but maybe that's because I have version 5 of Nero. I'll look into upgrading that. I'll also look for the media you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your help. CG
  13. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

from what i've read, NERO and ROXIO fight like pigs in blanket when installed on the system, causing system instability and fighting for resources and whatnot...
  14. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya compgran....

first things first......uninstall both roxio and nero completely from your system.

then decide which one you want (i'd suggest nero) and re-install that.

forget all your 321 products (dvdx range)

download DVD Decrypter as well.

with shrink, decrypter and nero you will have planty of perfect success.

BTW shrink and decrypter are totally free to download and use.

hope this helps
  15. ellizit

ellizit Guest

I would also recommend the Nero v.6 and DVD Shrink combo using Ritek G04 dvd's. I have used XCOPY Plat. and am now mostly only using shrink. Good luck.
  16. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

same here
    shrink/nero/ritek go4 over 200 hundred backups and no coasters that werent my fault.
  17. compgran

compgran Member

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I'll take your advice. I'll be back to let you all know how it goes. Thanks everyone! CG
  18. jcsqerly

jcsqerly Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great instructions. I followed them today and I can't believe how easy it was! Burned two disks with no problems and impressed my husband in the process.(normally I can't even figure out how to record with a VCR)So thanks again, and I'm sure I will have more questions shortly.
  19. 922588

922588 Guest

Hello,

I have tried using DVD Shrink to create ISO image, but unfortunately, the burned DVD (with DVD Decrypter) was not usable.
    I tried it again using ImgTool (so DVD Shrink - ImgTool - DVD Decrypter) and it worked (I will never use Nero again - too many DVD wasted).
    Any comment on DVD Shrink ISO creation ?
  20. compgran

compgran Member

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I finally used DVD Shrink a day or so ago, and it worked wonderfully. It did require me to think a little more than DVD X Copy Plat, but it didn't take long to figure it out. Thanks so much! I'm just bummed I spent so much money on 321 software, but you live and learn. One question - Is it necessary to do the "deep" or "detailed" (whatever) analysis? That seems to take a lot more time. I want a quality copy and am willing to invest the time, but it would be nice if it isn't normally necessary. Thanks, all, for your help. CG
  21. woof811

woof811 Regular member

a deep analysis isnt normally needed, it does say it improves video quality and does take longer so its upto the individual , i personally dont bother and all my back ups are xllent quality
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.