1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

TMcCallie
    You're not the only one that had some problems with the DVD43. Seems the program can either not work or cause problems on some systems. Hear for a lot, it may work just fine. Me, I had to use system restore to get my system back to normal after removing the DVD43. As software interference is widely known to occurr (look at 321 Studios problems) I wonder what DVD43 can sometimes cause. Wouldn't put it back on my system to experiment. More trouble than the free price tag entails.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  2. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

brobear...
    I feel like you do about DVD43. I have ANYDvd and use it religously. I would not try to install it again on my system since it did not work the first time.

ANYDvd works from the first time I installed it and has never missed a lick. I have the latest vs which came recently. Don't know what else it could do that the prior one couldn't but surely it does something better.

I still prefer ANYDvd and Nero recode 2 to any burning program I have and I have quite a few.

I found Pinnacle Instant Copy vs. 8 at 2Buystore.com for 23.96 plus 3.99 UPS making 27.95.

Bigorange downloaded the trial vs and is running tests on it and will let us know how it comes out. If it pans out good, I probably will invest the 27.95 and buy it.

Happy burning.....

3. brobear

brobear Guest

TMcCallie
    Some good choices there. Shrink is good for what it does, but there are choices for more and better function. Haven't tried Pinnacle yet. I have most of my library backed up. So, I'll have to wait until I buy some more movies to do some more backup and new software trials.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  4. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Just backed up Monster tonight. Very good movie. Man did they make a beautiful girl look so BAD. Used faithful ANYDvd/recode 2. Wonderful job as usual.

Come on bigorange, let's have your test results using Pinnacle Instant Copy vs. 8.

How do you fellows get those pictures into your posts. I have tried but copy & paste does not seem to work.

Advise

5. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

OK This has been the most helpful forum I have ever been in. You guys are great.

I read the whole thread and by the time I got to the end I felt like I was not a noob any longer. Especially
    the part about FAT 32 (Avoided allot of head scratching)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Amd 1200, ATI All in wonder 8500 DV
    383 133 ram
    80 GB HD
    Windows ME
    Memorex 8X DVD Dual format[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  6. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Jetster,
    Welcome to forum, see you around.

7. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Ok Question, I used DVDshrink and set the set the file size as costom 4096 as I have FAT32. it still made the file too big. So is it better to lower the costom size or compress more?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You can do both. Everyone has their own way. When I use shrink After re-author (or even if I don't re-author) I always use custom instead of overall compression. You can both disable or compress some more than others,ie. I may compress the main movie at %20 while compressing extras at %50 and maybe disabling a couple of 2-channel audio tracks. You can moniter by watching the bottom of the screen, the size will change as you fool around with it. Good luck.... [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy there Jetster,

FAT32 to NTFS, It's the right move - it's upgrading -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it's causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It's not -

You haven't made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you're worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you'll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol). But for now, it's not a problem. I haven't ever heard of anyone losing their PC or even a single file when upgrading to NTFS -

No worries mate, you're just a little bit behind the times is all -

No trouble converting your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, it's safe and fast.

Hey, take a second and learn something about it -

This is a good place to start, it compares both file systems and their performance -

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

(Be sure to check the comparison of the 2 at the bottom of the page) -

Ok, feel better ? You're about to be brought into the light -

This program is called Partition Magic 8 is simple and easy and best of all - you download the trial version so it costs you Nada, Zip, Zilch as in free. (It's a good thing, right ? Yep, you bet.)

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Ya feel better working in the Command window - No worries either, Check Cozza, he's one of "Super Good Guys" from away Down Under, he will give you the "Skinny" right here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81003

OK, you should be set.

Any questions, stop back and we'll try to help :p)

Cheers,

Pete

10. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

OK, It hasen't been that big of a deal yet just when I go over the limit. I am running ME and havent gone to XP because I would rather spend the monney to buy a MB and chip and new ram. (ok so its not that much)

I guess I could format my second partion but not sure if that would work Ive never tried it.

I am 3 for 3 copys now and still learning. I know soon I will be buying the new chip P4 2.8 and ASUS MB so XP will have to be in there.

So the issue is not that I am afraid of loosing DATA but cheep and don't want to slow my gaming down (I am slow enough LOL.

O another stupid question:
    Just cus I like to understad things
    ISO file is conpressed data. I end up having to uncompress it and it takes about 10 min. So y use ISO?

Thanks again pete .....no bullets here

11. Dogs

Dogs Member

Scuba Pete,

Just wanted to say thanks. I've been reading this thread & the guides on this site for the past two weeks whilst I waited for my DVD burner to arrive (ebay purchase).

Tried it out for this weekend and I have to say everything worked 100% first time. Your posts are awesome - I had answers to all of my questions before I even started.

That being said, I just want to add my 10 cents. I did it the cheapo way - a US$60 Cendyne dvd burner off ebay, running in a PII 450mhz using a Memorex DVD-RW. I'm sure you will conclude that this was a recipe for disaster, but I just wanted to let folks on a tight budget know, it worked for me (first time).

I'm not questioning your advice - I fully agree that better quality hardware & media would clearly reduce the chances of shiny-beer-mats but for those on a tight budget, you can make it work.

PS, where do you SCUBA ? I live in the Cayman Islands, we have great diving - you should try it out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hey dogs, one thing about cheap media (by cheap I don't mean cost- u can get RitekG04's at Meritline for .71ea.w/free shipping), the problem is it might work the 1st couple of times, what about a year or so down the road and you go to watch it and guess what? Honey, bring me the TV Guide! [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dogs, Welcome to our little Club -

BTW, 4 different companies manufacture Memorex and the quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Ritex G04 (-R) costs start at $ .69 ea. (USD) and +R media is running about $ .84 ea. (USD) from Mertline.com. - Similar prices can be had via a
    Google.”

Ooohhh no, When burning with lesser quality media, you can lower the burning speed (as low as 1X if necessary) in order to achieve a good burn.

I always say it is a gamble, some times you win but over the long hall, you lose. Use what you have, and when it’s done, upgrade to beat the losing curve -

What bigorange was referring to was what I like to call the DVD “Time thing.”

A time thing ?
    One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. Point of fact, inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down" in time. Important, please read -
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

I have had 25 to 30 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be totally sure that there are no problems. "In olden times," before I knew any better, the Maxell and TDK discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what I used to use before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim, it is the cheap stuff that I have been experiencing trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had been using refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Jam" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek s, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in almost 2 years. I still have some backups done on the cheap stuff and as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? All of the backups from "02" and "03", done on the "good Stuff" work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

Cheers,

Pete

PS. 38 yrs. Professional - PADI #1247 (resigned in 1987, safety concerns), NAUI #3355 (Current), CMAS #3355 (Lifetime) - GCI, Did a Promo commercial for Treasure Island Resort, too much time in S/R city (24+ hrs), a nice dive, 265/air, single 80/ N.Wall (nice shelf coral). Lucky you, unlimited Tortuga Rum/bugs, poor you/ limited shopping/curry goat. Lol

14. Dogs

Dogs Member

Thanks Pete,

Thorough as always & I respect your advice. BTW, I'm BSAC and we have a local BSAC club on island.

I don't want my backups to go 'flat' in the future (otherwise there's not much point having them). Here's where I hit the snag. As you already know, there's not many places to shop here, yet alone find a RITEK, so I need to work the media I can get my hands on (at least while I'm stuck on the rock) and thats where I need you're advice:

No where on island has RITEK's. More to the point, none of the 3 computer stores have heard of them nor are they prepared to see if they can source them. None of the US sources I've tried so far in the US will deliver international and my remailing address in the US takes too long (it's quicker to wait for my next visit to the US). Next time I'm in the US, I'll obvisouly buy a pile of RITEK G04's, but I need a fix for now.

I can get Memorex, Imation, Maxell, Verbatim locally. From your posts Pete I see that you have used verbatim also - is this as good as the RITEK? There are several versions of the Verbatim available and I don't want to pay the extra money to not get the right thing. Please could you clarify for me what features I need to look for, rather than model numbers, in case the model numbers do not marry up here(ie I beleive it's the type of dye thats critical - but which type?)

Additionally, notwithstanding the cost difference, is there any 'life' difference between a -R and a -RW. I use -RW's to record from DSS (so that I can re-record if I decide to) but don't want to run into problems with them going 'flat' (ie will a Verbatim -R last as long as a Verbatim -RW [I have no compatability issues so am purely concerned with 'longevity'])

PS, fortunately I like curry goat. My house is waterfront (North Sound) and my little ski boat is enough to get me and a couple of friends to the North Wall most weekends. I may get bored of it eventually but I've been here 6 years and so far it sure as heck beats freezing my nuts off every weekend in Netherton Reservoir with the Dudley Dolphins (where I'm originally from).

PPS, I had assumed (possibly incorrectly) that you were English, however, I note from your post that it was made at 8pm EST - is that just server time (or some form of converted servicer tiem) or are you an insomniac (or maybe I'm just way off base!).

15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

There is a distinction to be made here: although you may purchase media that has Memorex/Imation/Maxell/Verbatim stamped on the front, those companies do not actually make the media. In fact, they are made by other (more obscure and less commonly identifiable) companies like Ritek, Prodisc, CMC, Mitsubishi etc. Only by reading the embedded subcode on the media can you readily tell who actually made that disc.

Of the brands you listed as being readily available, I would try and see if the Verbatim is a Ritek (and Verbatim typically has an excellent track record as far as media quality goes so you should be fine). For DVD discs, a program called DVD Identifier is needed and can be obtained from http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ will allow you to determine the maker of your DVD media

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Praetor, Thanx for the info, downloaded dvd identifier and that is one handy little program. Works great. Thanx again. [​IMG]

17. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Same here,
    Thanks

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Pete: damn! Way cooool.......PS- says they're coming out with 3.0, will they let ya know or will ya just hafta keep checking? [​IMG]

20. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

I am trying to take out the previews warnings and extras but leave in a working menu. I thinks I saw somewere that Nero recode 2 would do that but I can't figure it out and every guide I find doesen't help.

Pete ......what am I missing ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.