1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Jetster, recode will do it, one of the reasons I prefer it over shrink. Not sure where you're hitting a snag, I wrote a brief summary of using recode. Check it out and if you have questions holler back. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/86549

2. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Here's a little more information to my problem
    DVD Shrink is awsome I have used it in ISO and
    file mode, both work fine.

I rip the hole DVD to disk, then bring on recode
    and import DVD and there are video files. I can see what they are and pull out what I don't want, burn, and the menu does'nt work.

I can't see the ifo or bup files in Recode?
    Its probably in front of my face but I don't get it.

Thanks for your help

3. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Ok I think I answered my own question. In Recode 2,
    I was clicking on make a new DVD instead of DVD
    to DVD. Then you get a disable option like you
    pointed out in your guide Bio. Am I getting warmer?
    I haven't tried it yet but I will.

What the heck is up with Afterdawn changing Languages
    from my shortcut that was working?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Amd 1200, ATI All in wonder 8500 DV
    383 133 ram
    80 GB HD
    Windows ME
    Memorex 8X DVD Dual format[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Jetster,
    Yep you are warmer, just replace the unwanted title(s) with a custom picture or color.
    BTW thats Decrypter you were using in the ISO and file mode, right?

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Jetster, not sure why you would use shrink and go to recode. You would be doing the same thing twice. Are you sure you weren't using decrypter, then going to recode? How about a much easier way? Download DVD43 and install. Then just turn on your Pc, insert movie in your drive and go directly into nero recode. Everytime you disable a title you will be asked to insert a picture(one of yours or the default), do it, when you get done disabling everything you don't want hit next, check advanced analysis and burn at once and wait an hour. This is on the fly, but I do it all the time, it's quicker and saves space, and you'll end up with exactly what you want- a movie with a menu(and whatever u decide to keep). Just try it once, guarrantee you'll like it.

6. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Ok I was using DVD shrink. Mainly to start I was
    working with ISO files and I have FAT 32 file system
    and DVD shrink gave me the ability to keep it below

I used Recode because I wanted the option to have a
    working menu. So yes I rencoded twice. Recode wont rip the DVD and how can Decrypter help me if you can't work on menu's? Thanks Bio

DVD43 sounds like the ticket

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Jetster,

Since your using FAT32, don't use ISO. The more you compress, the more you lose quality. Just stick with video_ts files.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Jetstar, flip's right on there, have you thought about switching over to NTFS? It's not hard to do......sorry, I see where pete already suggested that.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  9. jstlng12

jstlng12 Guest

Hi everyone, first thing, can I say what a great thread. Special thanks to Scuba Pete, he really does make a tough subject very understandable:).
    Have been backing up my dvd collection for a few days now using Dvd shrink and then burning with Dvd Decrypter, the vidieo quality has been excellent, the only trouble is, when I play on my stand alone Dvd player and also the computer the output keeps on coming out in wide screen. From reading up on this, I think this is what is known as letterbox efect. Is this normal with the above programs? Any help with this would be much appreciated thanks.

10. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Jstling12,

I believe the aspect ratio is set on the disk, but you can change your settings on the set top box or player and the player will change the aspect by streching the picture. Just do a Google search for aspect ratio.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Amd 1200, ATI All in wonder 8500 DV
    383 133 ram
    80 GB HD
    Windows ME
    Memorex 8X DVD Dual format[/small]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

Were the movies originally Widescreen of Full? Some movies use 'Pan & Scan' technology to go from a Wide to Full when you have both options. Some discs actually have 2 movies. It may have been I Spy or an older disc I ran into that on. I usually go for the widescreen so I didn't copy the full. [bold]Check the original track to see if you are recording a widescreen or fullscreen format.[/bold] Then if you're still having problems, check the player settings.

Now that you've learned the freeware method of recording, try downloading the trial pack from Nero and learn how Shrink can also be used. (I think it's still a 15 day trial period) After all, the default setting is for Shrink to burn with Nero. If you try it, remember to recheck the Nero box in Shrink. With Nero all the controls are in Shrink and Nero just does its work in the background. More simple and not many contest that Nero is one of the better burning ROMs.

12. faded420

faded420 Member

your tutorial is excellent but i do not see target device anywhere on dvd shrink. where is this located? i would appreciate some help.
    thanks

13. brobear

brobear Guest

When using Shrink, burning with Nero is the Default setting. To change that or check that Nero is chosen: Click preferences under Edit and check the I/O tab, check or uncheck the appropriate box. The Target settings are available when the Backup selection is made. The Screen opens and you have a Target Device tab. Push the down arrow tab on the far right of the selection and you'll see more options or enter your own if you know where to send the files.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

There are guides for using DVD Shrink here at AfterDawn and at Doom9.org ; check them out, pretty informative.

15. daletom

daletom Member

I have been reading all the threads for days and am still really confused. I am so new at this I just returned my new computer because I installed DVD Cloner II and Nero 6 and it stopped by rewrite drive from working and I thought it was broke.(well the tech guy at the store did not know what the problem was either)Of course I did not tell him I had installed the above after I found out it was those two things.Anyway my question is there a program I can install to rip the DVD'S and use my software already installed on my computer to copy it.I have read thru all the threads and know enough to know that now all programs are happy together. I have Record Now, Arcsoft Showbiz and more but not sure. I have a HP Media Center PC and to me so many bells & whistles that I don't know what to pull or blow.You guys seem to know your stuff and maybe you can help me out. Simple Simple Please

16. flip218

daletom,

Hello, first can you give us your system specs? O/S, processor, ram, HD, and make and model of your optical drives. I have DVDXCopy Platinum, DVD Clone 2, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, DVD-To-AVI, DVD Rebuilder, CCE Basic and Nero 6. And all work fine ... it's not the software.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I noticed that DVD Cloner II took care of some bugs from the earlier programs and added support for more drives. Whether yours was one of the included I haven't a clue. I have never heard of Nero locking up a drive. So I'd say that is a safe keeper. Delete the InCD part in ADD-Remove in your control panel. InCD has a problem of interfering with other programs.

You can use the free program DVD Shrink to decrypt and encode and it works automaticly with Nero to record. There are user guides for DVD Shrink here at AfterDawn and at Doom9.org. This is a good starting tool that you can record with and learn some editing skills in the Re-Author. Once you learn this, you are ready to make a more informed decision about what software you might want to get later.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2004
  18. daletom

daletom Member

Sorry told you I was really green at this. Just let me know if I don't get this right
    I have Windows XP Media Ctr Addition (whatever that means)I have a HP Media Cener PC Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor with Hyper-Threading Tech
    512MB PC 3200 DDR SDRAM 250GB HDD (7200rpm)
    8xDVD Writer & CD Writer Combo Drive
    nvidi GefORCE FX 5600 AGP 8x graphics card with 128MB DDR video memory.
    Not sure if I included the Opitcal Drive but I just copied what is on the front of the computer.\
    Let me just say that HP Support told me that was the problem .I just took the computer back to store and got another one. I am trying to get a little more educated before I mess this one up. I don't think they will just keep swapping it out.I was able to get a refund on the DVD Cloner II so I am back to square one.Again thanks in advance for any help

19. flip218

daletom,

I didn't think DVD Cloner 2 was the issue, but since you got a refund we won't worry about it. Now download DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Also if you reinstall Nero, like brobear said DON'T install InCD4.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Daletom,
    Sounds like a nice unit. As I said the Nero is a safe bet. Use it with the DVD Shrink to learn. DVD Shrink is a free download and you can get the latest version of Nero as a trial download, good for about fifteen days. Didn't notice if you said you owned the retail version of Nero or not. Nero has a good program in the retail version, Recode2, that is a good recording program. You have to have a decrypter with it. [bold]So stick to DVD Shrink and burn with Nero burning ROM to learn.[/bold]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.