1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Shrink, then Decrypter--Burning Dies Before Completion

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sash1778, Jun 2, 2004.

1. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

Hi,

I have a Pioneer DVR-107 burner connected externally to an HP Pavilion N5425 laptop through the USB. I believe that my computer only has USB 1.1, because the computer tells me that I have a hi-speed device plugged into a non-hi-speed controlled port. I'm using Ritek disks. I'm trying to burn a film that is about 4.3G, so it shouldn't need compression, right? First of all, the bun process never goes faster than 0.5x (it's an 8x burner--could it be the lack of USB 2.0?), and then, when it get's to about 70%-80%, the burn process fails and gives me the message:

SCSI Status: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 21 64 70 00 00 10 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 2188400-2188415

Sense Area: [a whole string of #s]
    Interpretation: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

Now, I know from Meritonline's website that the disks are compatible with the drive. The error sounds like the movie's too big to fit onto the disc, but it's a 4.7G disc and the movie is about 4.3G. And then there's the incredibly slow burn speed.

Could anyone offer any help?

Thanks a lot,

Sasha

2. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

One other thing I should mention--

When I'm burning with DVD Decrypter (before it fails), the "Device Buffer" keeps going from 0% to 100% and back. I don't know if this is related to the lack of a hi-speed USB controller, or not. I have an internal CD-burner and when I burn something with that, the buffer always rises to 100%, then stays there until the burning is done.

Also, the Riteks are G04's.

Thanks for any help.

Sasha

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

USB 1 is way to slow for dvd burning. The data transfer rate is why your buffer jumps around as you stated. This will almost always give you burn errors with a bunch of coasters as the end result. You need USB 2 for the burner.

Jerry

4. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

thanks. so the answer is to by a PCMICA (or whatever it's called) USB hi-speed controller card?

sasha

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats what I've read on here. My burner is internal, but that seems to be the solution. They buy the USB 2 card.
    You may have some other minor problems but you need to correct the USB problem first before you see if anything else needs changed. Good luck.

Jerry

6. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

Thanks, Jerry.

7. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

Hey--

I got my usb2.0 card today and that was what i needed. it's gone from burning at 0.6x to 2.7x with no errors.

Thanks so much for your help, Jerry.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how I can get it to burn at 4x, like the dvd-r media is supposed to (i have a pioneer 107, which should burn at up to 8x, i think).

Alex

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Alex, Glad that worked out for you. USB 2 is many times faster than USB 1 but I don't know if there is a limitation using USB 2 as far as speed is concerned. You may want to do a Google search on the transfer rates of the 1& 2. I"m at work and don't have the figures in front of me. Maybe someone else will jump in with the figures. I'm just not sure if 8X is possible with USB2. I'm sure someone on here has the answer. One thing to remember, the faster you burn, the bigger chance of burn errors.
    Have fun.

Jerry