1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used wrong codec to use my .avi file for my standalone Divx-DvD player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 69Baarn, Jan 9, 2004.

1. 69Baarn

69Baarn Member

My standalone DivX-Dvd player only recordnise 2 codecs.. I ripped many new dvd movies myself with the following output:

[​IMG]

Now that i have all this movies i want 2 make them compatible (without or less- quality loss).

The codec that i need to use is the normal DivX Codec
    and not for example a microsoft codec like i used (see pic)

Does someone know a good program wich i can use 2 decode Microsoft Mpeg-4 V1 to the normal DivX codec?
    (without or less- quality loss).

This movies have a perfect quality like this, and thats what i wanna maintain with the normal Divx codec and watch my movies in the DivX-Dvd player!

Thanks a lot for your help and download links ;)

2. 69Baarn

69Baarn Member

Is there noone who seems to have a answer to my question?

If you know, and you are able 2 explaine how to make my movies playable on my Standlone DivX-DvD LITE-ON pls tell me.. so look at the current file output (the pic) and then tell me how 2 convert that movie without much quality loss and make it playable..

Is there a opp. that the standalone player won't play a AVI file with a resolution of 1024 x 768?

Thanks for tips, i really need help here! :p

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Dude... give it a couple days before you bump posts :p SOme of us actually have real lives too (supposedly ;-))

1. To watch movies via DivX on a standalone player you have to use the Home Theater/High Definition profile for DivX (i dunno what it is for Xivd since id ont have one of those standalones). You will have to read the manual to see what resolutions and bitrates are reccommended

2. I wouldnt imagine that the MS MPEG4V1 would have the same amount of quality compared to DivX/XviD because I find it to be an inefficient codec compared to the other two (also, I dont know if standlones support that codec; no reason they shouldnt but then again you are gonna have to read the manual for that)

3. To transcode, fire up VirtualDub, open the AVI File, Video --> Fast Recompress, Video --> Compression --> Select your codec (that is supported, specify the bitrate), Audio --> Full Processing Mode, Audio --> COmpression --> Select the required compression mode, File --> Save As AVI.

4. Burn slow and enjoy

4. 69Baarn

69Baarn Member

the standalone player only supports the codecs: DivX and DivX for Windows. The MS-Mpeg4 V1 compressor is very good but not usefull for my standalone..

Download a part of the movie The Hunted, wich i ripped here: http://www.eichelsheim.com/TheHunted_by_MvO.avi

probably click: save target as...

This movie was ripped with the MS-Mpeg4 V1 codec and you'll see its very sharp!

When i convert avi to a divX with VirtuaDub and i use the right codec (DivX for Windows),wich bitrate should i use?
    Are there any standards for this?

p.s. The manual of my LITEON Divx-Dvd says nothing about resolutions :S

Sorry i'm so naab in this ;)

5. 69Baarn

69Baarn Member

whoepss.. i ment: Go 2 this page and download it here

eichelsheim.com/mov.html

sry :p

6. 69Baarn

69Baarn Member

YESSSSSSS!! problem solved guys!

The standalone only plays avi's who have a resolution up to 720 x 576!! This is also DvD-quality!

So my movies won't play in it, because they R 1024 x 768.. next time i'll rip them in the good resolution with the good codec!!

ps. links won't work anymore now!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004