1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uses for the PS3 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by vegalo, Jul 9, 2007.

1. vegalo

vegalo Member

What exactly is the purpose of the PS3 Hard Drive?? The reason I'm asking this is because I am debating on whether to purchase a 20GB PS3 or a 60GB PS3. The 20GB can be found really cheap now with the PS3 price drop and all on eBay. I understand that the 20GB and 60GB models differ in that the 60GB models have the chrome trim, built-in wifi, card readers, and of course, larger hard drive. But in reality, these differences don't mean much to me, especially if the price is really different between the two. Furthermore, it is to my understanding that the PS3 Hard Drive can be replaced with any 2.5'' Hard Drive of your choice, so I can essentially upgrade the 20GB PS3 to any size hard drive I want. In conclusion, what are the exact functions of the PS3 hard drive?? To store game saves, videos, music, pictures, what else??

2. ferrarza

ferrarza Member

for the 60gb thats about all the functions. If you are happy with what the 20gb model has to offer you will save yourself quite abit of money as the hdd's are pretty cheap now. Basically you can store music, your converted movies, content from the playstation store(demos +ps1 games+ vids) and pics thats reaaly about it. Oh and you can install linux so thats where the bigger hdd comes in use

3. vegalo

vegalo Member

Right, thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

4. ferrarza

ferrarza Member

thats alright. anytime