1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using 3.03OE-C to mod gameboot

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by windtrade, Jan 31, 2007.

1. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

I would like to change the gameboot and it seems that X-flash is not yet able to work with this version. The latest 3.03OE-C has a new feature to enable PC access to the flash bank on USB via a recovery menu option.

As it is really easy to brick the PSP going this route, what things can screw the mod? For example, what happens if a gameboot.pmf file I am loading is messed up, does that brick it? What happens if I try to load a bigger file than is available in the flash, does that brick it? What happens if I were to misspell the gameboot.pmf file incorrectly? Just trying to get an idea how tolerant the PSP to modded gameboots in the flash. I did read about another way to load the gameboot off the memory stick but that seems much more involved to add.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. rsrepp

rsrepp Regular member

If you are that worried I suggest do not do it. You have to be able to accept the risks. But basically go into flash0>vsh>resoure>then replace the gameboot with your own.

3. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

Well - I did take a perfectly working PSP and did the 2.81 => 3.03 => 1.5 => 3.03OE-c upgrade and did use the recovery option to poke around (no changes) the flash files. How would you rate the risk of changing out the gameboot against doing the fw upgrades/downgrades?

thanks

EDIT - I hacked the gameboot using gbmod, pspbrew, and psardump. There is still a flashing taking place but under app control. It is very safe and no chance to brick PSP. Uses gambeoot placed on MS, so very easy to change.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  4. hpo56

hpo56 Regular member

wintrade how do i do it i have the same firmware as you, 3.03oe-c what does the pspbrew and psardumper have to do with this?

5. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

What Gbmod does is allows you to place a gameboot.pmf (video shown during game loading) on your memory stick. The big advantage is you are not flashing your PSP which eliminates the potential of bricking. It is very easy to change gameboots as well; just use USB connect and write a new gameboot.pmf right over the existing one on the MS. That's it.

PSPBrew and PSARdumper are used to extract a module that gets modded to tell the PSP to go to the MS to load the gameboot file.

Look around - I forgot where I found the download but it is all packaged up very nicely. Maybe maxconsoles, psp-hacks, or qj.net

6. hpo56

hpo56 Regular member

I know what it does i mean where do i get psardumper its not on qj donwload.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

yes it is. i know the newest devhook .51 package comes with it.

8. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

9. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

Oh i see what you want. I made a gameboot path modifier that boots the gameboot from f1 so that unlike the other mod, you dont have to have the memory stick in.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  10. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

That's a good idea. Do you put in the root of f1? I'm assuming that there is less risk if you screw what is on F1. The main reason It does not seem like a very good practice to flash f0 very often unless you are VERY careful. Too easy to slip up and brick the machine. The gbmod to use gameboot.pmf off MS is basically fail and idiot proof.

11. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

But u have to have the memstick in in order to use what you worked for. Thats why i made mine that boots the gameboot from flash1:\gameboot.pmf.

12. rubenx

rubenx Guest

hey but i download hat i have 3.03 oe-c and i have the lash but i habe only the eboot.psp where i put thatand where i can find game but and what happen when you enter to a game and thepsp is frizin there in that moment what happen?

13. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

no one understands you.

14. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

For those who always have a MS inserted, it's no big deal to access custom gameboot off MS. If you had several MS you used and wanted the same gameboot you would need to save it on each one, maybe a hassle for some. If you really use one main one, no big deal. If gameboot is not on MS, gbmod just uses the gameboot off flash 0 which could be the default or a custom one you might have flashed earlier.

Flashing to f1 is safer than flashing to f0 and it is always available, MS in or not. For those who don't always have a MS in the PSP, the flashing is the way to go. For those always using a single main MS, gbmod works good.

It is sure nice to have multiple options to do these things with PSP!

Thanks

15. rubenx

rubenx Guest

sorryyy for that shit i write...................................... i have 3.03 OE-C and i want to do that but the pspsetx0.2 have only a eboot.pbp you can do a guide to 3.03 OE-C gameboot pliz and you have a page for download gameboot for that and other question the other shit i want to change is the psp start you know when you turn off the psp and turn on they say sony computer entertaiment i want to change that too howwww?

16. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

I have posted the link to the gameboot page with all the info you need: links to download the apps and the full instructions.

As to modding the cIntro, I have done it myself buy from what I read, the best way to do it is with xFlash which is not yet compatible with 303oe-c. That was as of a couple days ago, but it should be ready very soon.

17. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

i didn't think cIntro worked w/ OE-C?

18. windtrade

windtrade Regular member

The way I was reading it was cIntro doesn't work in 303OE-c is because the main utility to use: xFlash does not work with 303OE-c, not that cIntro doesn't. I'm pretty much a noobie so I may not understand the term cIntro properly. My definition is it is the short video flash that you see when the PSP is cold booted and you can change this via a mod. IF it means something specific like the name of a homebrew app or some other mod, then I need to do more reading. thx