1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a camcorder to pass through analog

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by minsik, Dec 28, 2003.

1. minsik

minsik Member

any ideas on using a dv camcoder to allow transfering hi8 to dv format for editing int he computer?
    Will all camcorders so this? Most specs i have checked
    only show very basic details and some have composite in/out. Is there basic models that wont be suitable?

I also want to pass editted video back to a vhs recorder etc. Hope you get the gist of this query.

I had originally ordered a Firebird capture card pci which had dv and also an alalog section but after several months and no analog operation i had to return it for a refund. Tottallt tried everything inc reformat the pc, also tried 3 other pc;s with no joy.
    A friend verified the dv worked fine. An alternative might be a canopus advc-100 or 300. I allready have an early trv-880 hi8 camera that is all i really need but cant get it into the pc.

2. TwaTicklr

TwaTicklr Guest

I use the canon zr65mc. It works well for what you want to do.

3. minsik

minsik Member

thanks, i reread the post and its a little vauge on what i am getting at but you did.
    its what camera will do this pass analog in and out.

will this MVX150i ?

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

You really have to check individual camcorders. Sometimes it changes depending on the country.

For example, most Sony cams will let you do this but I've heard the ones in Europe won't.

5. WesleyM

WesleyM Member

Using the camcorder as a pass-thru device to convert VHS analog video to digital for downloading to computer is exactly what I am attempting. It works fine with my Sony MiniDV using only an A/V connection. However, I think I am losing some picture quality. I am going to try and see if I can use the camcorder's S-video connection to improve things.

My big question, though, is would I see a significant quality improvement over the Sony pass-thru technique compared to something like the ADVC-100/30?