1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using bittorents

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by kyle_101, Mar 28, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Can you use programs like shareza, emule, limewire and the likes of as a client for bittorents

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey kyle,

Not sure if I am understanding your question, but I think I know what you are talking about.

I don't think you can, because using bit torrents are an entirely different entity. For instance, I can't use Limewire and then try to get a program or what have you from someone using Bit Tornado or Azureus.

So, if I understand you correctly, no you can't use them as a means to get .torrent files.

Hope this helps!

;)

3. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Yeah thats great thanks for the help but the only thing that put me off is that i downloaded a film using bittornado and it was in .rar format and i didnt know what to do with the files and how to get them onto dvd.

But know that i know a bit more maybe i will give it a try. I dont really see the upside to using bt becausei can ge everything that i want from ed2k links and sites.

Could you possibly compile a pro's and cons of using bt instead of the likes of emule and limewire ect.

cheers

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well kyle,

Since I am still just a noob at using Bit Tornado, I can give you my perspective in it:

Pro with using Limewire
    -----------------------
    Easy to use interface
    Downloads pretty quick
    Programs come already bundled
    Corrupted files are automatically killed
    Choice of skins
    Searches are REALLY easy to do, just type in what you are looking for
    Able to scan another users shared files

Cons with using Limewire
    ------------------------
    Possible virus embedded in programs, but you can do a scan check with your virus software
    Sometimes downloads are unavailable because people move the file

Pro Bit Tornado
    ---------------
    Easy navigation, just pretty much point and click
    Websites hold files
    New releases of things very early
    Alot to choose from
    Not many to non-existant viruses

Cons with Bit Tornado
    ---------------------
    Sometimes you don't really get what you are looking for, so you have to be careful
    Not able to connect sometimes
    Sometimes, downloads can take anywhere up to 3 days (I am basing this off of a download that I just did recently)
    If you don't have any sites to go to, you have to search the web to get anything good
    A considerable amount of configuration
    Leech and seeds have to be taken into account when downloading things, the more seeds the better

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing BT AT all. That is why I am trying it out. I just like to get what I need and then go, and not really have to go through alot. So I am definately not downplaying it. I love to use Limewire, because it is really easy, regardless of what people say that it contains viruses and stuff, that is one them. It wouldn't be my fault just because they got it, so that is their own personal experience. Because the same can go for IRC and that is mentioned around here alot.

As far as the other p2p app you mentioned, I have never really used it so I really can't comment on that. My advice, stick with what you like. Everyone is going to tell you this sucks and that sucks, don't pay no mind to them, no matter what client you use, you should be happy with how easy and resourceful you want it to be.

If you are still unsure, try them all out, and then see what you like. Go through the file sharing forum, because many of these have been discussed to death! But the only real choice you have is your own. So, try out Limewire, Azureus, Bit Tornado, DC++ and all the others, because no matter what you use, they are always going to be issues.

Hope this helps you!

BTW, I don't use winrar for the .rar files, I use winzip, so I apologize for not being able to help you out in that area.

;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Thats a great help, Its just that i am reluctant to change from what i Know like Emule and Ares, they are working for me at the mo so i dont see the need to change.

So for now like yousaid i will just stick with what i know. There are always things that work for certain people and you just gotta see what workd for you.

Thanks alot for the help

Peace

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

That's cool...I know it can be alittle overwhelming with all the p2p apps out there right now, but you just have to find one that works for you! :)

Oh Lord, I couldn't have said it better myself! That has GOT to be the smartest answer I have heard in regards to the p2p's. You definately have my respect on that one!!! :)

I just posted in another thread regarding p2p's and I think that alot of people, really don't know what they are looking for and expect others to TELL them what is good. It is better to be neutral and let someone else make the informed choice, so they better understand what they are working with.

;)

7. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Yeah totally agree with everything you said. And I just bought every p2p user a virtual drink at my virtual online bar.

www.2p2p.com (2 pissed 2 perform)

Laters

8. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Thanks for the v. drink!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go use the restroom!!!

Damn alcohol is going right through me!!!

;)