1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using ConvertX to DVD

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by kath3kidz, Aug 27, 2007.

1. kath3kidz

kath3kidz Member

I am using ConvertX to DVD to convert short video clips from my camera (Kodak Easyshare Z650) from .MOV files so that I can play them on my TV. I have managed to do this successfully, but each time I set one series of clips up to burn I have to use a new blank DVD. As each 'mini movie' consists of a few clips (maybe 10) on one subject, lasting up to about 30mins in total, surely I should be able to then add another set of clips to the same disk at a later date? Is this possible?? If so... HOW?? PLease help as I'm new to all this and struggling hard to take it all on board!

2. attar

attar Senior member

A standard DVD is write once only.
    If you use DVD RW media then it can be erased and written to many times.

After converting with ConvertX, but before exiting the program, you would save the project (from the file menu).

Subsequently, run ConvertX and load the original project file.
    Add the new clips and proceed as before, remembering to resave the project.

If you are using ConvertX to burn a re-writable DVD, it will be erased and burned.

Note that the small project file only contains the information about the last project.
    The original .MOV files that were used must still be present on the PC, else it cannot find them.

3. kath3kidz

kath3kidz Member

THanks! That sounds really sensible now I think about it! Do you know if when you choose the option to also save the files in their original format when burning the DVD does it then put a .MOV copy onto the DVD as well?? If so, then presumably I could use the same disk to play the movie clips on the comp and on the telly, with each machine selecting the file format they understand and read... is that correct?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Yes the file is a copy of the source.
    Recall, though, that DVD format files are generally larger than the source files and you may run out of space faster than you think and note that your media player on the PC will play the DVD files in any case AND you can use the DVD menu to select the clip - so the .mov files would be redundant..

5. kath3kidz

kath3kidz Member

Hey Attar!! I have just tried the DVD in my PC with Real player to run it and its great! So you have sorted me out!!
    Thanks for your help.
    Kath

6. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.