1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Decrypter to rip files

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by karen2003, Aug 8, 2004.

1. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi, all. I just went to watch one of my backed-up DVDs and got "no disc" messages in two of my DVD players. I then tried to open the disc in Shrink and got "invalid file navigation" or something like that. The media was fine -- Ritek Ridata DVD+R. So I checked my Excel spreadsheet with all my back-up records (see, it's good to be anal about keeping records ...) to see if I had checked this DVD after it was burned. Turns out that with this one AND one other DVD back-up that I'd had the exact same problem with, I had ripped with Decrypter in file mode to a created video_ts folder, then burned the video_ts folder (Shrink must have had a problem with the original discs -- I only use Decrypter as a 2nd method).

I'm trying to understand the logic of this, so my question is, is there something about the files ripped with Decrypter that is "missing" something until those files are encoded, e.g. with Shrink? I guess I had thought that Decrypter was copying all the files I needed so all I had to do was put them in a video_ts folder and burn the folder (same procedure I use when I rip/encode with Shrink). But clearly I thought wrong.

BTW, the files on the "bad" disc are actually fine -- once I ripped the "bad" disc with Decrypter to my hard drive, Shrink could open the files without a problem so I'm assuming once I encode with Shrink, I'll be able to burn as usual. Again, I'm trying to understand the logic of what's missing when I rip in file mode in Decrypter.

(I guess there's a moral here here too ... ALWAYS do a Shrink quick analysis after a burn. Luckily I've only ripped with Decrypter a few times but I guess I'm going to have to do all of them over.)

P.S. The original DVDs were DVD-5s, which is why I thought I could burn them in a created video_ts folder and skip the Shrink step. So it wasn't a size problem.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Karen H.--Dell Optiplex GX240, P4 1.50ghz, 256mb RAM (yeah, I need more), Windows XP Pro w/SP1, 40gb c: drive, 125gb f: drive (it's really 250gb but my computer only sees 125gb!), Sony DDU1621/C1 DVD-ROM to rip/encode, Sony DRX-530UL to burn[/small]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Karen, I have been using Decrypter almost exclusivly over the last six months for all my full disk rips, and have had no problems what so ever with the final product. I was wondering if, perhaps, you used one of the "selective" modes like "Main movie files" or Main files plus info" and forgot to ADD the necesary supporting files required for a "burn" to the VIDEO_TS folder? That's just about the only thing that I can think of that would mess up a VIDEO_TS folder when using Decrypter.

- Mike -

3. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

I don't know much able this, but maybe this would work. I use Shrink to rip or what not (such a newb I'm not to sure what I'm doing) and have it set to Write an ISO. After its done, and use Decrypter to burn the ISO image to my DVD. There was a detailed post by Scubapete about this, and I followed it, and never messed up a DVD since. For some reason I think the topic was sticked and his post was on one of the last pages of the post near the bottom. Its not a "guide", just something he type in a topic, but I had no luck finding it, maybe you can.

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Smsmike and Randomned, thanks for replying. Here's what I did. Opened original DVD in Shrink, it must have given me an error so I went to Decrypter, my back-up. I copied ALL files from Decrypter to my hard drive in a folder that probably had the movie's name in it (I NEVER pick and choose in Decrypter so the files definitely all got copied). Since the DVDs were DVD-5's, they didn't need to be compressed so Shrink wasn't necessary, so I figured I would just go straight to RecordNow, my normal burning program. The only "odd" thing I can think of that I did is that I must have, at that point, changed the name of the folder on my hard drive from the movie's name to video_ts since that's the only way it would work as a video disc. Maybe the name change didn't "register" as video_ts since it wasn't called that when I ripped the files. If the ripping-to-hard-drive-in-file-mode-and-then-burning procedure would normally work, as Smsmike suggested it does, then that's the only thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary.

BTW the files themselves were perfectly fine -- I ripped from the "bad" disc back to my hard drive using Decrypter (Shrink didn't recognize the disc), then I used "open files" in Shrink and it DID recognize the copied files and I was able to encode with Shrink and burn with RecordNow as usual. So there must have been something about how I created the video_ts folder that went wrong.

Well, live & learn. Again, thanks for the replies!

5. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

After reading your original post, and then your add on material, Karen, my only conclusion is that you got a "Bad Burn" after you ripped the files with Decrypter. Nothing that you did after the first "de-code" would have caused any problems. Certainly not a simple thing such as a file name change. I do that all the time. As long as the final files were in a folder called "VIDEO_TS" it makes absolutely no difference HOW they go there.

Personally, I would just write that disk off as a "Bad Burn" and let it go at that. From what you have written, neither you, or Decrypter did anything wrong.

- Mike -

6. Galbin

Galbin Guest

What also may have happened is that your files were burnt in an incorrect sequence. Open your bad disk again with DVDDecrypter, and see whether the sequence shown is .ifo, .vob, .bup.

When I first started I inadvertently burned DVD's as data disks, which caused the .bup file to be the first file and most stand-alones will not recognize these disks....

DVDDecrypter shows the files in the exact sequence that they are stored on the disk.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Do you still have the rippped video_ts file? If not, can you re-rip with DVD Decrypter?

Why don't you do this test:
    1) Re-rip the dvd using file mode
    2) Open Shrink, open the video_ts file
    3) Create an ISO and burn it with Decrypter

If it works then it was your method with Record Now.

Also for dvd-5's why not just use Decrypter, rip in ISO mode and burn the ISO?

8. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

For the life of me, I have NEVER found ANY advantage to using ISO mode. Other than taking up a HUGE amount of disk space, what does it do that a straight encoding to DVD mode doesn't?

9. flip218

Whether you rip to ISO or video_ts the disk space will be the same.

Were talking about a dvd-5 ... so there is no need to encode, it's just a straight rip and burn.

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I have always used DVD Decrypter to rip my movies to ISO. Then depending on the movies size I will use DVD Shrink to reduce and save as an ISO file. I then burn the ISO with DVD Decrypter or if a DVD5 burn with DVD Decrypter right away. I use this method to lessen user error problems - ie not ripping the right files or not using the right settings to burn. With over 250 movies backed up (between the childrens collection and my own)It has not failed me yet.
    Prior to using the ISO method my results were spotty
    I hope this helps

11. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Well guys, my current count of backups is 427, and I have yet to use an ISO file for any of them. It just seems (to me) to be a totally unnecessary step in an otherwise very simple process. Please don't get me wrong, if it works for you, great - To each his own.

- Mike -

12. flip218

Your missing the point. karen2003 was ripping dvd-5's in file mode. It doesn't get more simpler than ripping and ISO then burning it ... using one program.

Another thing your missing. DVD Decrypter can't burn video_ts file it can only burn ISO's.

Now if your doing dvd-9's, yes it would be unnecessary to rip with decrypter first if your using Shrink ... since Shrink can rip. But there a times that Shrink can't crack the css encryption, so you have to rip with Decrypter first.

13. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi smsmike
    There are a couple of other details on ISO ripping that I did not mention. To save wear and tear on the DVD drives I try to put the movie on to the hard drive as quick as possible. When I rip ISO I maximize my options on how I wish DVD Shrink to do its magic. It can read and process an ISO file. Its processing speed is improved because I am not using the DVD drive during processing but rather the hard drive. This decreases the chance of reading errors. I can then preview the finished ISO file before burning and make sure I like the results. If not it is easy to start over again.
    I can rip and burn an DVD-5 disc with verification in less than 30 minutes. A DVD-9 takes about an hour including deep analysis and verification.
    When I used Nero to burn not all discs would play back in my stand alone player. With the ISO mode 100% play back in the Sony stand alone unit.
    You are right to each their own. I hope with this expanded detail you can understand why this works better for me
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  14. flip218

chthomson,

One thing ... I wouldn't use the verify function. This can cause errors at times :)

15. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

For the most part, I use DVD Decrypter to write the files to a VIDEO_TS folder, then I burn them to disk with DVD X-Copy RF. It's a simple process which puts all the files on one disk no matter how big the combined files happen to be. X-Copy has a very, very good compression routine for that process.

Now and then I will use DVD Shrink to pick out just the main movie files and supporting audio if I want a down and dirty backup of JUST the movie, or when I am dealing with a TV series disk that has lots and lots of intros and menu items that are just a waste of disk space. In that case, after using re-author with shrink (with the output to a VIDEO_TS folder) I use either Nero or X-Copy to burn to disk. In either case, I have yet to see the need for an ISO file format.

Again, I ask, perhaps someone could tell me the advantage of converting to ISO first? So far, I just can't see any reason to do it...

- Mike -

16. flip218

geesh .. why must I repeat myself?

Here's one good reason:
    When backing up a dvd-5 ... it's just a straight rip an burn using ISO's.

After that ... It's just preference. And you talk about unnecessary steps, why are you ripping with Decrypter in file mode then using XCopy RF? Why not get 321rip and let XCopy do it all?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  17. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi flip218
    I am aware of some of the limitations of using verification. Most discs have no problems - however occasionally it will catch a bad burn saving me listening to my kids tell me that the movie is not working.

smsmike
    I do my movie backups in batches - three to four discs at a time. Rather than setting up 2 folders for each movie - one for the ripped copy - one for the copy to burn. I run with just two folders total Movies to edit and Movies to go. Each ripped to ISO movie has two files an ISO and a mds. The copy to burn is just one file - the ISO. When it comes time to delete after the successful burn I have just 3 files to find per movie to remove. Most times the file is to big to keep in the recyle bin and is immediately removed. Less work keeping the system clean.
    Sometime you should try the ISO route - you may be surprised on the differences movie backup ISO mode can be. If you are using DVD X-Copy RF to reduce the movie then the system you are using probably works best. I don't think it can read and process ISO files
    Just some more thoughts

18. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Quote: And you talk about unnecessary steps, why are you ripping with Decrypter in file mode then using XCopy RF? Why not get 321rip and let XCopy do it all?
    -------------

First off, Decrypter allows me to watch the process and pick out what I want or don't want in the final VIDEO_TS file folder. It also tells me which files have errors (if that happens to be the case) And, in some cases, not all of the files on the DVD are necessary.

I always put each DVD disk on the Hard Drive first - THEN - I use that VIDEO_TS folder for any final changes I might want to make. Both Shrink and Decrypter look at a VIDEO_TS folder on the Hard Drive exactly the same way they look at one on a DVD disk.

Bottom Line: My preference for transferring the files to the Hard Drive just happens to be Decrypter because of it's options.

Again, however, no ISO files are needed, just one VIDEO_TS folder for each disk. Since I have three 200 gig drives in my computer, I really have no problems with the number of DVD's I can have sitting in VIDEO_TS folders at any given time.

Some of you seem to be getting defensive about using ISO files. All I ever wanted to know is what advantage they give you over a straight rip to a VIDEO_TS folder!

I still don't have an answer that makes much sense to me. Perhaps we need to just drop this topic before someone gets hurt feelings.

- Mike -

19. flip218

If your implying that I'm getting defensive ... I'm not, I just don't like it when I have to repeat myself because people don't read my posts.

I was unaware DVD Decrypter had a preview function. You can also do this in Platinum Advanced mode.

You can't understand people have preferences? And your pretty big on yourself if you thing our feelings can be hurt ... that's funny :)

20. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi guys. Flip218 is right, people have different preferences. Personally I rip to a video_ts folder, I just like it that way. If I were burning with Decrypter obviously I couldn't rip this way ... so as someone pointed out, that's one great reason to rip to an .iso file. Whatever works best for you!!

BTW, here's an update on my original problem. I checked my spreadsheet and out of the hundreds of back-ups I've made, I only ripped with Decrypter by itself (i.e. not in conjunction with Shrink) four times. ALL FOUR of those discs are unreadable in my stand-alone DVD players although the discs & the files themselves are fine (meaning I can simply copy the files to my hard drive, run them through Shrink, and burn the disc again). The procedure I followed, as I noted above, was to first try the original disc in Shrink; there must have been a problem so I went to Decrypter, my back-up method. I ripped the files to the hard drive folder called, say, "Taking_of_Pelham_123" (that was one of the "bad" discs -- great movie BTW). Then I realized I didn't have to use any compression so instead of going back to Shrink, which is what I would normally have done, I changed the folder name from "Taking_of_Pelham_123" to "video_ts" and burned it, with an empty audio_ts folder, as a data disc in RecordNow. The thing is, using this procedure, I seem to really have created a DATA DISC with the movie files on it (as if they were any other files) but apparently the files are not in the right order or something (hence the "navigation error" when I try to open the "bad" disc in Shrink).

Keep in mind that the correct normal procedure when using RecordNow IS to create a "data disc" with the audio_ts and video_ts folders -- this works PERFECTLY every time with Shrink-encoded files, but somehow DOES NOT work at all (at least in RecordNow on my system) with files that have simply been copied from my hard drive. I still have no idea why. (Galbin, your burning program must not work this way, but with RecordNow you DO burn as a "data disc" even though it's burning video files. Counter-intuitive, I know.)

All the movies I've burned using Decrypter first to rip to hard drive, then Shrink to compress/encode (again, only using Decrypter first because Shrink had a problem with the original disc), have worked great. So Decrypter is ripping fine. Again, it's just the ones where I've burned files ripped straight from Decrypter, no encoding. Maybe it's the combination of writing it as a "data disc" AND the files not being in the right "order."

Very odd, but I'll just accept it as a glitch in my system and be glad that I only burned 4 discs this way and all of them have fully recoverable files.

Thanks again for everyone's insights. :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Karen H.--Dell Optiplex GX240, P4 1.50ghz, 256mb RAM (yeah, I need more), Windows XP Pro w/SP1, 20gb c: drive, 128gb f: drive, 105gb j: drive, Sony DDU1621/C1 DVD-ROM to rip/encode, Sony DRX-530UL to burn[/small]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004