1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using Decryptor and Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by 0jammer0, Mar 16, 2004.

1. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

hello, i've been burning DVD's for quite a while now, but have always had the same problem.... THE SKIPPING OR PAUSING of some frames of the burned DVD (when played back on regular DVD players). I have thought that maybe it was either DVD shrink (v.2.3), my burner (RecordNow DX), or the actual DVD-RW drive (Toshiba burner). But now I see that many people have had the same problem and its caused by DVD Shrink. How can I minimize or completely prevent the skipping/pausing of the burned movie? Do I have to use Shrink v. 3.14 instead (for the "Deep Analysis" option)? Also how can I use DVD Decrytor and DVD Shrink together?? I have only used Shrink and my buner. But I have heard many people use Decryptor and Shrink together. How do you do this? And what do you do when the movie is over 4.7 GB (in DVD Decrytor). Can you "Re-Author" like you can in Shrink? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Decrypter is mainly used for movies that don't need compression or the occasional disc that Shrink can't rip. There's really no "magic" in using both. Shrink doesn't have any intrinsic faults that cause playback problems - the problem usually lies with something else.

I would suggest downloading the latest version of Shrink, 3.1.7, and use Deep Analysis for discs that need compression - it's there for a reason :)

Skipping and pausing are often caused by crap media. What media are you using?

3. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

by media do you mean the "brand" of the DVD-R's?? if so, then I use MEMOREX. And you know this is probably the cause, because I used a SONY DVD-R and the picture was absolutely perfect. No skipping or anything. But I only tried it once. Do you really think it was because I used MEMOREX DVD-R's that I experienced the skipping?? Also will different speeds from the DVD-R's affect quality of the movie (using 1x and 4x for example). Will the burning process be faster if I use 4x DVD-R's? I will appreciate ANY input.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I use memorex+r and burn at 2.4 and have not had a problem with any of the disc's I burned. I burned around 40 with this media. so maybe it's not your media, it maybe just how fast your burning. The faster you go the more error's you will get.

If you have been backing up movies for a long time and got the same problems, why didn't you try somthing different- like slower burn speed's-different media or different program's?

5. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

I've burned memorex too but at 8x and without having any problems. Although now I only use Ritek G04's. So maybe you just got a bad batch of media.

6. Nephilim

OjammerO, If the Sony disc burned perfect and the Memorex give you nothing but trouble I would take that as a pretty good sign to try some different media.

If you use quality media like Ritek or Verbatim, not usually.

Quality media is crucial to good results so I highly recommend getting yourself some Ritek G04 media - it's damn good media and the best bang for the buck. If you have trouble finding them, let us know what country you're in and we can give you some links :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  7. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

Thanks for ALL the input. I use RecordNow DX for burning and have always put the recording speed to "MAX" (following a guide that explains how to backup DVD's with RecordNow). I guess I will try to record at a lower speed. Probably 1x or 2x. What do you think about that??

Will recording at a lower speed, like 1x or 2x take longer??

Also, is it better to set the recording speed according to the kind of speed the DVD-R has?? For example, if I use 1x DVD-R, is it better to set the recording speed to 1x??

By the way in regards to Nephilim's response, the reason why I stopped using SONY is because they're too expensive (compared to the rest).

8. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Burning at 1x or 2x will take quite awhile longer.
    At 8x I can burn a movie in about 8to9 minutes.

I've burned 2x and 4x media at 8x without problems. As long as your firmware supports burning fast on slow media (Ex. burning 8x on 4x media) you should be alright.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz HT - 226Watt Peltier & Water Cooled
    1GB Dual Channel DDR400 PC-3200
    2x 120GB Seagate Cheetah10K.6 10,000RPM RAID-0
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb - Water Cooled
    Plextor PX-708A & TDK 40x20x52x[/small]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Memorex built their reputation with tape products in general (cassette/ VCR, etc) -

Unfortunately they purchase discs and the media lacks both consistency and quality. I have heard numbers as high as *50 % of disks failing burning. That was quoted to me by one fellow who purchased a 100-pak and 1/2 of them were coasters - he was none too happy :-(

As has been said, Ritek G04, Verbatim and any media advertising "Advanced Metal AZO" - this is a superior dye application and although "Pricey" is quite good :p)

Pete

10. Nephilim

G04's can be had on the net for around a buck apiece.

11. 0jammer0

0jammer0 Member

Thanks to ALL for your help. From now on I'm going to burn at a lower speed (I'm going to try 2x and 8x). Also, if I REALLY, REALLY want to make a good backup, I'll stick with the SONY DVD-R's (even though they're quite expensive).

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Memorex work's for me fine, but I guess it's up to peoples personal pc and all the vodooo they can cook up to make thing's work -right. Have fun 0jammer0- Make your VODOOOO work for you :)