1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using dvd decrypter, before shrink..

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by .Apu., Jan 14, 2005.

1. .Apu.

.Apu. Guest

Does it make any difference from using dvd decrypter, before you use shrink. Than it does just to use the dvd itself, when starting shrink (not using dvd decrypter).

Hope you understode me ;)

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

It seems I've been getting alot of 'copy proection error' lately, so I just go directly to Decrypter now, rip to my hard drive, then use DVDShrink to compress or re-author. This saves me the 3-4 minutes from analysis only to tell me it is copy-protected later. Besides, the deep analysis and encoding is alot faster when it's done from your hard drive instead of reading from your burner.

3. .Apu.

.Apu. Guest

Okay... Thanks...!!

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Like Dog said, with this "new" sector protection crap that is prevalent on some new movies like RE2, where Shrink is unable to analyze the disc, just rip it with the new Decrypter first. Just make sure that when you do that you rip it in [bold]FILE[/bold] mode and not ISO Read. If you rip it in ISO read you won't be able to do anything with it with Shrink as all you will get for output is the image instead of the VOB files.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  5. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

My first post, though from what I've been reading here, I guess I've been a "lurker", though I did finally have to become an ADer just to get the email notices for the thread updates! Weirdo007, thanks for the tip about "FILE mode, not ISO read", I had thought there was some thing fishy there when I set up a DVD backup earlier today. When I used decrypter in ISO read, and then shrink (both new versions just DL'd a few days ago), my HP Media Center m1050e froze solid when I tried to burn using Nero Express 2. Task Mgr wouldn't even shut it down, and in the the performance tab, the graph of the CPU usage went up and down from 0 to 100% in a perfect bell curve! The machine is fairly new, Athlon 64 3700+, 1G RAM, WinXP Media Center SP2 OS and tons of space about 300G total left open. I'm very new at this, but taking "one step at a time, donkey", as Shrek might say. Thanks again, ADers, I'll be back I'm certain, 'tho most likely I'm like to go back into the newbie forums again, and yes I have read many! All advice is good at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2005
  6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Weirdo007
    I guess you didnt know you can open an iso image in dvd shrink,using the.. file/open disc image,option(not open files).
    Then make your output from dvd shrink, into an iso, so you can burn with dvd decrypter.For the people that dont wanna shell out the bucks for a burning app...a free option that works.
    blaze on
    jim

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  7. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

jim_dandy, if I read correctly you're saying shrink will use .iso images OR VIDEO_TS, depending on how one chooses to open the decrypted files? Would it follow, therefore, that I should decide upon the output mode from decrypter ie., either .iso or VIDEO_TS, and simply stick with it throughout the entire process? And does this have any effect on Nero?

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi bombbay41
    If you have nero, then you want to use decrypter, or shrink,in the /file mode/. But you can configure dvd shrink, to burn with dvd decrypter, by choosing the output of dvd shrink, to an iso image, instead of files.I was just giving you a free option.

But to answer your question,the answer is yes, dvd shrink will handle... iso's in the/file/open disc image...or VIDEO_TS,in the /open file/ mode.
    I hope I didnt confuse you too much LOL
    jim

9. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

i've been trying to burn 'the bourne supremacy' for a while now. i tried using dvd decrypter first in file mode. then opening the file in dvd shrink and burning.. but i'm still getting the same errors when it starts to encode. what am i doing wrong?

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ezkim0x
    I did that movie with just dvd shrink,no problems here.What is your error message?

11. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

it either freezes at 0% encoding or i get an error at 3% saying..

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Programming error - exception occured

i've tried the cd in my DVD drive.. in my DVD Burner drive.. i've also ran dvd decrypter and made an iso.. and put the iso on a virtual drive. lastly i did file mode and tried it that way.. all unsucessful.

edit;; i have the latest versions of both dvd shrink and dvd decrypter.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005