1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DVD Shrink for smaller movies

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ragtopdav, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ragtopdav

ragtopdav Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so I'll make it a good one! I just bought a new DVD recorder and installed it on my computer. I'm pretty handy with this stuff normally, but I don't want to waste DVD-R's while learning. I figure I'll ask questions first!

So, I've got DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink, so I can copy the movies to my HDD. Here are my questions:
    1 - When I'm copying a movie and it's less than 4.7 GB, is it okay to use DVD Shrink?
    2 - When using DVD Shrink and you have the options or removing parts of the DVD, I understand most of it, but which Audio should you keep? I am copying Blazing Saddles for instance, and it has 4 audio tracks. AC3 1-ch English, French, Spanish, and then another English. Why two Englishes? In the sub picture section, I understand to remove French and Spanish.

Any other tips? Would it be better to use DVD Decryptor instead? I want to get the hang of DVD Shrink because most if not all new DVD's are bigger than 4.7 GB.

Thanks in advance, and you'll see more of me around here. Great site!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

1. you can use shrink, or dvd decrypter in mode-iso-read, mode-iso-write
    2. the second english track is probably commentary.

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

I usually use shrink anyway even if the movie is small enough already. It doesn't matter and takes about the same amount of time ripping with either decrypter or shrink.

I usually keep the AC3 English Audios because the DTS audios are pretty large and take away from the movie quality by requiring more compression.

Also try DVD-RW, so if you mess up learning you don't waste alot of discs. I still use them when I am experimenting myself.

4. ragtopdav

ragtopdav Member

Excellent tips guys. Thanks a lot for the information so quickly!

5. regor

regor Regular member

Hi ragtopdav - There are a gazillion threads on DVD Shrink usage in the DVD Shrink forum. Also a guide @:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

You are good to go pretty much out-of-box with DVD Shrink and/or Decryptor. They both have unique qualities that separate one from the other however, so practice and reading the forum threads/guides is your best option. Use DVD -+RW until you get the hang of it.

hints and tips: You can use DVD Shrink to rip the the movie and select titles/audio and compression ratios and then burn with Decryptor (or Nero if you have it). Or you can use Decryptor to do it but Shrink gives you more of a 'one-step' programmatic solution. Decryptor is mighty powerful but you have to know a bit more about the application to make it work for you. [bold]btw[/bold] there are guides on Decryptor usage as well. Check out the myriad of useful forums on AD!

Hope this helps.

R

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  6. ragtopdav

ragtopdav Member

Thanks to you too regor. I've actually looked at the guides and found them to be very helpful, but they didn't answer the little things like what I asked on here. But I got my answers and find this forum to be excellent!

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Moved to DVD Shrink Forum