1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Google Voice and Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by amitpop, Jun 7, 2011.

1. amitpop

amitpop Member

I searched around the forums and I could find an answer so I'll start a new thread.

I recently got an iPhone 4 with no texting plan and I want to use TextFree or some other app to text like I did on my ipod touch. The dilemma I'm facing is that I want to only have one phone number to give out for both my texting and calling. How can I do this with Google Voice (or any other program)?

Currently this is my set up: I have a GV number linked to my iphone and my TextFree. So if someone texts that number it goes to textfree and if someone calls it it goes to my iphone. But, if I call back with my iphone, it uses my default iphone phone number since i'm not using the google voice app (because takes away from my data plan, not my minutes). How can I fix this?

Thank you

2. abstrakted

abstrakted Member

Using your GV app to dial out does not use your data. I actually have 3 lines on my phone...the native iPhone number, a GV number, and a Toktumi Line2 number. Both GV and Line2 route the call through actual phone lines...unless you use VOIP on Line2...so it uses your phone minutes.

GV is not VOIP on the iPhone so it uses the regular cellular network to make calls. Also...SMS both in and out...bypass AT&T so there's no charge for them--unless you choose to have GV forward SMS messages to your mobile number, then you WILL pay for SMS. That is set up in the GV settings online.

One thing to keep in mind: if the number you're calling is another AT&T phone, you may want to NOT use GV. ATT to ATT calls are free and don't get counted towards your minutes--but if you're calling through GV, the ATT network doesn't "see" those as mobile-to-mobile calls because they get routed through digital "landline". Therefore, even though you're calling another AT&T mobile number, you WILL be charged for those minutes. So here's a general rule: use GVoice to call NON-AT&T mobile phones and ALL landlines but use AT&T to call another AT&T mobile phone.

3. amitpop

amitpop Member

Well then. Thanks for clearing that up! I was told otherwise so I just tried it out and you're right. This was very helpful.