1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using laptop burner, or buy external burner?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by warrock, Feb 23, 2007.

1. warrock

warrock Member

I've been backing up my DVD movies with my HP Laptop, but I was wondering if the hard drive with the laptop would last since I burn tons of DVD's. I was getting worried that if I overuse it, it will break. Is there an average amount of DVD I can burn with the laptop. I'm thinking if it would be better for me to buy an external burner and burn through that in order to save the drive in my laptop. Or will the burner in my laptop be ok with the mass DVD's ive been backing up.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hard drive will last if you take care of them. How long well that's a good question. I read 3-5 years but can't say how accurate that really is.
    I think the burner in the laptop will go before the hard drive. They're not as sturdy as their pc counterparts. Plus not a lot of air flow/circulation. Laptops have a tendency to get quite warm :)

Doing dvd backups really fragments the hard drive. So you should be doing a disc defrag once or twice a week if using it a lot of this.
    Monthly or maybe a little less do a chkdsk to find and repair any errors on the hard drive. Here's a guide.

Then there's the other maintenance like virus scans and running a registry cleaner and disc cleanup.

I would pick up an external burner too - save some wear on tear the the laptop drive.

3. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

i stopped using my laptop's bunner very soon after i bought it, i use my LG external drive 100% of the times.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVDIdle claims they have some software that extends the life of burners. I've not checked it out, but they're a reliable company.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007