1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using multiple disk to record movie (or picture files)

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by meiron, Jan 20, 2004.

1. meiron

meiron Member

I want to record/burn more data than would fit on one disk on my DVD burner (also applies to cd).

Is the way around limitation of Nero 6 ultra to: use "BACK UP" and then be ALLOWED/PROMPTED to insert additional disks, as needed/directed?

I just bought a DVD burner and would like to record movies without compression. Also my digital picture files are MASSIVE (over 50 gigs). This would allow a complete back up of said pictures without having to “slave” over the set up.

Would recording in “Back up” need to be decoded for use in DVD players, if I use compression option?

Thank you for any help/suggestions.

iRon

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Because of the file structure of DVDs you have to re-author the disk before you can split it if you want it to play. DVD Shrink can do it for you, but if you don't want any compression and want to keep everything (including all menus, audio, subtitles) it's possible that a single movie could require 3 DVDs to burn. If all you want is the movie you can re-author twice, setting the end of the first disk to halfway through the movie and the beginning of the second disk to the same point.

If you wanted to do this with a data file you could use an archiving program like WinRAR to create an uncompressed archive that's split into DVD sized pieces, but you'd have to copy it back to your computer and put it back together to open it normally.

3. meiron

meiron Member

"re-author twice" ? please explain.

How to set end to halfway point? (I really don't all audio etc.)

Thanks!

4. vurbal

DVD Shrink has a feature that allows you to change the start and end points for the movie. It can also be used to just remove a few minutes from the end when the movie almost fits. The guides at http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php can help you with this. The Intermediate Guide covers it. You have to re-author twice because each time through you'll create the files for 1 disk.

Obviously if the movie doesn't take more than 1 disk after removing unwanted audio and subtitles, there won't be any reason to use this.

5. meiron

meiron Member

Thanks for the great info.!

iRon

6. vurbal

No Problem. ;)